GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spent the day hanging over the indy’s shoulder

im relieved to see that a great deal of the people on this board have engine oil varnish on their valvetrains, it makes me feel better that my engine may not have had synthetic oil for all of its life.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

if you want to see shitty valve train crud look at a new bimmer, basicly the plastic valve cover cars and up are sludge factorys thanks to the new extended factory mantaince intervile, i am seeing 99 and newer double vanos motors pukeing oil from solidified valve cover gaskets with signifigant sludge build up, not varnish but that pudding ****

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    im relieved to see that a great deal of the people on this board have engine oil varnish on their valvetrains, it makes me feel better that my engine may not have had synthetic oil for all of its life.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    if you want to see shitty valve train crud look at a new bimmer, basicly the plastic valve cover cars and up are sludge factorys thanks to the new extended factory mantaince intervile, i am seeing 99 and newer double vanos motors pukeing oil from solidified valve cover gaskets with signifigant sludge build up, not varnish but that pudding ****
    http://www.bimmer.info/~lowell/sludgery/

Quote Originally Posted by lowell

OMG
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

that's the ****, pudding, that free 16k oil change is a great deal aint it?!
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

And a great guy to boot. I met Carl over twenty years ago when we both lived in Houston. He was going to Rice University getting a masters or doctorate in Geology. I was just a young pup then happy to have a 2002. He had so many BMWs, at least three cabriolet 2002s. His beater (parts pick up car) was a Bavaria. I met him at Gerry Gerhardts (a place that used to and maybe still does sell BMW parts at wholesale to the general Houston population). I thought he worked there because he was always on on the Microfiche.
    He convinced me that I could change the heater motor in the 2. It was a job and I recall having a few nuts and bolts leftover but I did it and it still works.
    He also convinced me to join BMWCCA.
    He is the man,
    willobmw

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    that's the ****, pudding, that free 16k oil change is a great deal aint it?!
    you can't be serious...this is from an 01 330i?

Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

if changed by the book that's 4-5 changes i suspect they skipped one or two, that's the problem when you are pushing the limmits of your filtration, the oil itself practly doesn't wear out you should see what some of the diesel guys are doing with bypass filters, over 100k miles without a total change just filter changes and enough fresh oil to make up for what got lost with the filter, ever hear about the toilet paper filter? that one of the forms of bypass filtration

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    you can't be serious...this is from an 01 330i?

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Yes Carl spoke fondly of Brett.

Yeah, I love Carl too........OH, you said BreTT!!!

Seriously, I met Carl a couple of years ago when we were out there for '02 fest west in San Luis Obispo. We stayed in SanDiego for a couple of days and stopped in to see Carl's place. He seems to have every nook and cranny of that place packed full of old BMW parts- mostly 2002's and CS coupes. We had been to a couple of the local pick n pull junkyards and told him about our finds (not many)...Carl said that he has guys from the MEX border up to Sacramento who hit the junkyards for him and pick all the good stuff before anyone else gets it. I think he's trying to corner the market on used 2002 sheet metal!!!

Bret.

As someone in the service industry, be sure to get a feel for your repair guys comfort level with you hanging around. Don't be that guy (girl lol) who asks 100000 questions and won't the repair guy work. I, for one, don't mind it, but make sure you are conscious that some might care.

If you're spending the money you're entitled to know whats going on and the serviceman should earn your trust, but at the same time, there is a point where it gets annoying.

Good luck on learning to work on your car. If your mechanic is really cool (like mine is/was) then he'll let you use his shop. Thats a frickin sweet arrangement.

I gave up working on my car for the most part, but I don't mind doing oil changes or brakes as long as I have the right stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast