GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Any one running 225/45/17 tires on the e34?

Default Any one running 225/45/17 tires on the e34?

I just bought some style 5 wheels and it came with 2 good tires 235/45/17 and 2 bald ones. I was thinking of using the 235 on the back and mount a set of 225/45/17 tires from my old car on the front. I know its slightly smaller than the recommended size (about 1/4" diameter), so what do you think?

I'm certainly no expert, but since the front wheels aren't driven I would expect you can get away with it.

Or do yourself a favor and just buy four new tires. Used tires from another car will never be quite right.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by M-what
    I just bought some style 5 wheels and it came with 2 good tires 235/45/17 and 2 bald ones. I was thinking of using the 235 on the back and mount a set of 225/45/17 tires from my old car on the front. I know its slightly smaller than the recommended size (about 1/4" diameter), so what do you think?
    im running 245/45/17 on the rear and 225/45/17 on the front with no problems at all

Minascule difference, you shouldn't have a problem.

King Of NYC

Thanks everyone. I am going to put on the 225's and see how it rides/handles. Just don't like the idea of throwing away almost new tires. I have to save some funds for refinishing the wheels. The clear coats are not doing so well. I was told that I can sand the clear coat off and re-seal them. Only trick is to sand w/ the grain of the wheel.

Some day my car will look almost as good as Jay's....as soon as the rough idle is fixed (new injectors), the rear seats replaced (dried up and crunchy), and few other little mechanical issues.

Default your rough idle

have you checked your idle control valve?......these can clog up and stick causing that lumpiness when idling, whip off and clean with some degreaser/ wd40/ ardrox, check you've got smooth movement then spal it back on (obviously I've brushed over all the hassle of removing the bugger in the first place - M50 24v ones anyway!). The bentley book describes electrical checks you can do, too. There is also a way of actually adjusting the opening of the ICVv, too

I have used it front when I had the 235/45/17 in the rear and also swapped it back to front. Hardly any difference. Works well, slightly lower but not as noticible. The 325 uses this size all around.

I have 235/45/17 on front and back. No problems. I think would keep the all the same.
    tunes mobile

It worked pretty well. The set up worked w/o any problems. Now I just have to wait untill the hub centric rings arrive for the wheels. Thanks all.