GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total repaint

Default Total repaint

I just bought a '92 525it in great condition mechanically and interior. My only dissatisfaction is that the paint finish was not well maintained (it's not terrible - just not befitting a fine car like this one). I took it to a very highly regarded local (Hartford, CT) paint shop and they walked me through all the steps that would be taken to restore the finish of the car to "showroom new." I have little doubt that they can deliver what they promise, but the price they quoted threw me for a loop.

Understanding that prices vary somewhat by geographic region, I'd appreciate knowing members' thoughts on what a total repaint should cost. The car is beige metallic/clearcoat with little body work required other than the painting (a few dings and one rust spot on lower door panel). I'm not mentioning the price I was quoted, so as not to prejudice anyone's answer.

Thanks so much.

My son asked a friend who owns a body shop what it would cost to repaint a M5 that I was looking at. He quote $4,000 to $6,000 depending on the body work required and the color. Apparently the price for paint is widely variable depending on the color. This is in Northern California. Good luck.

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

Quote Originally Posted by rick49
    I just bought a '92 525it in great condition mechanically and interior. My only dissatisfaction is that the paint finish was not well maintained (it's not terrible - just not befitting a fine car like this one). I took it to a very highly regarded local (Hartford, CT) paint shop and they walked me through all the steps that would be taken to restore the finish of the car to "showroom new." I have little doubt that they can deliver what they promise, but the price they quoted threw me for a loop.

Understanding that prices vary somewhat by geographic region, I'd appreciate knowing members' thoughts on what a total repaint should cost. The car is beige metallic/clearcoat with little body work required other than the painting (a few dings and one rust spot on lower door panel). I'm not mentioning the price I was quoted, so as not to prejudice anyone's answer.

Thanks so much.
    I would think $3 to $5k for a repaint and $5 to $10k for a total color change.
    If anyone tells you they can give you a quality repaint for under $2k.... they can't.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

At the body shop right near me, a close friend's brother works there. He used to do our civics back in high school for dirt cheap. I stopped by one day and asked about a color change to "show quality" which includes the entire engine bay, all door jambs, etc etc. He said about $5k, because I was gonna go with a lime green (see sig pic) with a lot of clear coat. For a same color respray, it would probly be $2k. HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

place here in bay area quoted 1600 for cylipso and 1400 for non metalic color

also the price depends a lot on the paint manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by rick49
    Total repaint (Alpin Weiss II, including bumpers and some minor bodywork) = US $600.

Of course, I live in a country where monthly sallary is US$ 700...
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    Total repaint (Alpin Weiss II, including bumpers and some minor bodywork) = US $600.

Of course, I live in a country where monthly sallary is US$ 700...
    That's probably equivalent to about $4k US!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

My back neighbor is a retired body shop worker/owner. He makes his fun money by still painting cars. Charged me $600 for a full paint job. Looks great, a lot better then the clear coat peeling that was going on........

535 Rear Wheel Enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by Badkrma
    My back neighbor is a retired body shop worker/owner. He makes his fun money by still painting cars. Charged me $600 for a full paint job. Looks great, a lot better then the clear coat peeling that was going on........
    Holy **** Stephen--$600!!! Next time you visit the family in LA I want to see that paint job up close. If it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, I'll be asking you to ask your neighbor if he needs any more funny money. My paint is pretty good but I want perfect.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast