GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: The "a" in 525ia means?

Default The "a" in 525ia means?

I am about to move to Vanuatu for 3 years and I have just purchased a 1995 Model BMW 525ia. From an auction in Japan. It's has 71,000KM's on the clock. Not sure if this is genuine or not but they tell me it's in grade 5 condition, normally only seen on younger cars. I only have 2 relatively poor photos of the car.

I was trying to search the internet for more information. But I can't seem to find the difference between a straight 525i and a 525ia. What extras or difference does the "a" make?

I've heard about the plastic water pump problem. If the car doesn't have any service history should I replace the water pump when I get the car, or was the 95 model fitted with a metal impeller?

Quote Originally Posted by buzz66
    I am about to move to Vanuatu for 3 years and I have just purchased a 1995 Model BMW 525ia. From an auction in Japan. It's has 71,000KM's on the clock. Not sure if this is genuine or not but they tell me it's in grade 5 condition, normally only seen on younger cars. I only have 2 relatively poor photos of the car.

I was trying to search the internet for more information. But I can't seem to find the difference between a straight 525i and a 525ia. What extras or difference does the "a" make?

I've heard about the plastic water pump problem. If the car doesn't have any service history should I replace the water pump when I get the car, or was the 95 model fitted with a metal impeller?
    Automatic.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Be very cautious of a car without a service history. Can the seller verify the miles?
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

I picked this car out myself on the USS auction site. I have had 2 other cars from Japan and they have been perfect. They were both toyotas I must admit. The people I am dealing with in japan have a good reputation.

with that few miles there shouldn't be too much that's worn out, id change the pump, thermostat and thermostat housing to be safe, the plastic t-stat housings are a time bomb and the plastic impellers suck, age is harder on that plastic crap then miles, the m50 motor does not like to be overheated as the head is prone to cracking when roasted, i've probably done a couple dozen head jobs due to overheating on m50/52 motors. fresh fluids for the whole car wouldn't be a bad idea as everything is probably orignal and 10 years old
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it