GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To use my Style 5 rims this winter or not?

Default To use my Style 5 rims this winter or not?

I know the conventional wisdom is to use 'winter wheels', but I paid a lot for my Style 5 rims and I'm not happy about only getting to use them for half the year.

How stupid is it, really, to use them all winter (with snow tires, of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    I know the conventional wisdom is to use 'winter wheels', but I paid a lot for my Style 5 rims and I'm not happy about only getting to use them for half the year.

How stupid is it, really, to use them all winter (with snow tires, of course)?
    It's not stupid if you wash them regularly. Salt can hurt them if you neglect them. The only problem is - winter tyres in 17" dimensions are a lot more expensive than 15" ones. Also, you'll have a hard time finding a set of chains that will fit 17" rims without damaging them (because of a low tyre profile).
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    It's not stupid if you wash them regularly. Salt can hurt them if you neglect them. The only problem is - winter tyres in 17" dimensions are a lot more expensive than 15" ones. Also, you'll have a hard time finding a set of chains that will fit 17" rims without damaging them (because of a low tyre profile).
    Thanks. I wash the car weekly, but there'll still be salt on the wheels. I think they're clearcoated. How well does that protect them?

Anything I can put on them to further protect them?

I know tires will be pricier, but it's worth it for the look.

I won't use chains with them.

dont do it man, even with a clear coat all it takes is a chunk of salt or a rock the chip through the clear and your game is all over....which you probably already have. Pick up a set of baskets or something and use them as dedicated winter treads, less risk of damaging the nice rims mounting/dismounting 4x a year.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    dont do it man, even with a clear coat all it takes is a chunk of salt or a rock the chip through the clear and your game is all over....which you probably already have. Pick up a set of baskets or something and use them as dedicated winter treads, less risk of damaging the nice rims mounting/dismounting 4x a year.
    Clear coat can be damaged by a small piece of rock even without snow - for example, a piece of rock thrown at the rim by a car passing you. So I don't see how snow is more dangerous to rims in that manner?
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

once the salt gets to the aluminum surface it can spread and oxidize...do you know what im trying to say? found a picture for you.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Not

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    once the salt gets to the aluminum surface it can spread and oxidize...do you know what im trying to say? found a picture for you.
    HA HA HA!! They just won't believe until you drag in and present the dead body at their feet!!!!

Someone obviously missed the "grand master" tag beneath your name. (we're not worthy, we're not worthy)
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

I live in Montreal, we use plenty of salt and the wheels like yours that I have seen always have a shitty finish from salt if they've been used in winter.
    Some wheels are more resistant, yours are not.
    I also just paid $230 a tire for 17", whereas you could get 15 for half that or less.
    NOT to mention if you rub a curb because it's icy when you park and you slide into it.....
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

I just spent $240 for a complete set of 15" Grapics to go on my car. There is another factor - Winter pot holes and slides into curbs are a common occurance. Do yourself a favor - get a set of extra wheels. Besides your car is not going to be worth a **** in the snow with those lowprofile summer tires.

If you don't take good care of those wheels - I will be forced to find you and remove from your car when you are !

D.-
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast