GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Burning electrical smell

Default Burning electrical smell

Ok, I have a burning electrical smell coming from the engine compartment of my 1989 535 (e34).

It seems to be concentrated around a module right above the brake master cylinder. This module also seems to be getting pretty hot. This is the same module/part that has the remote positive battery terminal attached to it.

Can you guys give me some idea about what is going on and where to start troubleshooting?

1989 535 (e34)
    243,000km
    5speed manual

First thing I would do is make sure you have fire coverage on your insurance policy.

Check the voltage going into that module and also that is coming out of the alternator. Good luck. and carry a fire extinguisher.

Stephen
    535 Rear Wheel Enjoyment

Ditto on the fire extinguisher.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by IN10CT
    Ok, I have a burning electrical smell coming from the engine compartment of my 1989 535 (e34).

It seems to be concentrated around a module right above the brake master cylinder. This module also seems to be getting pretty hot. This is the same module/part that has the remote positive battery terminal attached to it.

Can you guys give me some idea about what is going on and where to start troubleshooting?

1989 535 (e34)
    243,000km
    5speed manual
    chances are the voltage is having some resistance at that point, this is why you are having that smell, i would recommend you disconnect the positive battery lead and disassemble the module and clean the contact points, they are probably corroded

Default But does anyone know what this thing does?

Ok, fire extinguisher in hand.... What is this thing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Those are the heater control valves, they allow hot water into the heater core, the

smell is either coming from them indicating that they are toasted or from below them , where the auxilliary water pump is , an electric motor driven water pump that circulates hot water through the heater core... either one could be burning up...Disconnect the terminals if it looks like its going to flame out.

Quote Originally Posted by IN10CT
    Ok, fire extinguisher in hand.... What is this thing?

I was driving back from Atlanta to Nashville tonight and stopped on the Nashville side of Chattanooga to get a coke. I had noticed my heater did not seem to be putting out much heat, and when I stopped I noticed a smell. It smelled a little like electrical smoke but had a sweetish characteristic to it. I checked to make sure a cigarette spark had not come back in the window into the back seat, and when I did not find anything burning, decided it was antifreeze. Especially after the heater almost totally stopped working except for when I put the dial all the way over and past the detent. When I got home and shut off the engine, I heard a gurgling in the dash which I have heard several times, and after checking here and finding these things are not easy to bleed, decided it needed a bleed.

Then I found this thread. I will bleed the system my next day off (Friday). Is there anything I need to check to make sure I do not have a short in either the heater valve or the aux pump? I really wonder what the smell was? Is there any connection between needing bleeding and burning out one of these components? I smelled this indside the car. The PO had the thermostat, housing, and a few hoses replaced about a year ago at the dealership.
    Last edited by zhandax; 02-09-2006 at 04:41 AM. Reason: clarify
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax
    I smelled this indside the car.

Heater core?
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

It went away when I got back on the freeway. If it was the heater core, that should not happen?
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Here is the kicker. Both going to work today and coming home tonight, I had heat. Now I am really concerned about the smell. Will visual inspection reveal any potential problems? I will also check the voltage going to the valve.

If it was the aux pump starting to burn due to air in the heater core, does this pose the same potential fire hazard?