GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Power steering problem (still)

Default Power steering problem (still)

A while ago, I noted that my power steering fluid was dissapearing, at a rate of nearly a litre a week...
    I have looked at all the hoses etc for signs of leakage, but can't see anything obvious. The side of the reservoir is pretty dirty, so I was thinking the seal in the lid could maybe do with replacing, but more worrying, is that I have noticed a drippage of fluid from the rear of the car.
    I know my car has self levelling rear suspension, but I don't really know what that means, but surely the power steering fluid must travel to the rear of the car...?

Could this drippage be the leak I have been lookng for? Any info greatfully received!

BTW, the drippage is coming from the middle of the car, towards the rear, near the diff, but I haven't been able to get under the car for a proper look.

I had a similar problem with my touring, turned out to be rusty pipes that connected to the regulating valve were leaking big time- the power steering fluid reservoir was emptying within a few hours. If you look up www.realoem.com under rear axle; levelling device it might help you understand what your looking at when you get under the car.

Default It can be leakage where the pressure accumulators or bombs are fastened or at the

hoses themselves fastened to the struts as pictured below the bombs and hoses that is or the tube as mentioned above at the valve or the valve itself

You can see the pressure accumulator mounted underneath on each side by the regulating valve here

Quote Originally Posted by BM-BOY
    A while ago, I noted that my power steering fluid was dissapearing, at a rate of nearly a litre a week...
    I have looked at all the hoses etc for signs of leakage, but can't see anything obvious. The side of the reservoir is pretty dirty, so I was thinking the seal in the lid could maybe do with replacing, but more worrying, is that I have noticed a drippage of fluid from the rear of the car.
    I know my car has self levelling rear suspension, but I don't really know what that means, but surely the power steering fluid must travel to the rear of the car...?

Could this drippage be the leak I have been lookng for? Any info greatfully received!

BTW, the drippage is coming from the middle of the car, towards the rear, near the diff, but I haven't been able to get under the car for a proper look.

Quote Originally Posted by BM-BOY
    I know my car has self levelling rear suspension, but...
    I suggest you eliminate LAD when you decide to change the shocks. It'll be worth it, trust me.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    hoses themselves fastened to the struts as pictured below the bombs and hoses that is or the tube as mentioned above at the valve or the valve itself
    Bill,
    Quick question for ya and I don't mean to hijack.

Is the strut pictured in your reply have an outer shell that's been removed? I ask because my car has thrown a self-leveling check control msg a few times since I've owned it, but the rears are big thick blue Boge's.

-ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!