GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a little preventative maintenaince for you guys

Default a little preventative maintenaince for you guys

hi guys i thought i'd share some info for those interested, recently i was having an intermittent loss of power from my car, i checked everything from plugs, filters, battery ( i bought a new one) sensors, vacuum leaks etc anyway one day i decided to do an obd test 9 while driving, strange enough i noticed that everytime the car would lose power, the voltage would drop to 12.xx coincidental huh?
    the alternator is brand new only 2 weeks old, so i thought it couldnt be that the diodes were going so i swapped the voltage regulators, no change
    cleaned and changed the battery terminals and the jump start lead at the front, no change,,, so i decided to check all grounds, thats where i found the gremlin, there's a negative ground on the left side chasis near the front of the car,( im right hand drive) and this connects to the engine mount, i took it apart and found some corrosion there,, cleaned it and restarted, right away the car felt as if it came alive for the first time ever, obd reading is in the area of 13.6 lowest to 14.24 highest, she now pulls extremely strong in ED before i would have to switch to SD to get that kind of performance, so guys if your car feels sluggish, try the grounds, it worked for me.
    Last edited by tnt525i; 10-31-2005 at 11:35 AM.

hmm..

is it possible for you to post a photo of the problem area? I would like to check this out anyway..
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

me aswell, even tho im a 7

Me too!--Love to see that photo

congrats on the fix! What made you think to check voltage while driving?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by tnt525i
    hi guys i thought i'd share some info for those interested, recently i was having an intermittent loss of power from my car, i checked everything from plugs, filters, battery ( i bought a new one) sensors, vacuum leaks etc anyway one day i decided to do an obd test 9 while driving, strange enough i noticed that everytime the car would lose power, the voltage would drop to 12.xx coincidental huh?
    the alternator is brand new only 2 weeks old, so i thought it couldnt be that the diodes were going so i swapped the voltage regulators, no change
    cleaned and changed the battery terminals and the jump start lead at the front, no change,,, so i decided to check all grounds, thats where i found the gremlin, there's a negative ground on the left side chasis near the front of the car,( im right hand drive) and this connects to the engine mount, i took it apart and found some corrosion there,, cleaned it and restarted, right away the car felt as if it came alive for the first time ever, obd reading is in the area of 13.6 lowest to 14.24 highest, she now pulls extremely strong in ED before i would have to switch to SD to get that kind of performance, so guys if your car feels sluggish, try the grounds, it worked for me.
    More power from fixing rust? Sounds SUPERCOOL, pls do show us what to look for dude... if this works for even a few peeps you will really be starting something here...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Incantation
    hmm..

is it possible for you to post a photo of the problem area? I would like to check this out anyway..
    ill try to get a pic as soon as possible

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    congrats on the fix! What made you think to check voltage while driving?
    i guess i ran out of options as to where to look for that gremlin, you could say out of frustration lol

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    More power from fixing rust? Sounds SUPERCOOL, pls do show us what to look for dude... if this works for even a few peeps you will really be starting something here...
    i dont know if it would help everyone, but its worth a try, it worked like magic for me, the car runs so powerful now that i just ran a friend of mine , he has a turbocharged corolla, man i got 1 car length from the word go and we ended up with me 2 carlengths ahead of him, by no means my car is super fast after the fix, but my car is at least 1000 lbs heavier than his, and oh he's manual

Quote Originally Posted by Incantation
    hmm..

i pulled this off real oem's site its #16 in the diagram one end mounts to the chasis, and the other to the engine mount, not sure which side it is on LHD cars but mine is on the right near the steering box
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tnt525i; 10-31-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast