GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you become a "qualified mechanic" in the USA?

Default How do you become a "qualified mechanic" in the USA?

I'm curious to how men and women become a automotive mechanic in the USA? In Australia a person normally works for 4 years on a low "apprentice" wage. For the first three years, you goto a technical college one day per week for your theoretical studies. When you have finished the four years, even though you do not have experience in an area, you are qualified to work on almost all parts on any car.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, i certainly know from this forum, that it does not apply for all mechanics, but I have heard in the USA, a mechanic is normally trained in only one area of the industry, like brakes, suspension, electrical etc. Is that how it works? Please fill me in

Kriss, once again- I will not claim to be an expert in this area, but I know a little. To be a "mechanic" you just need to hang out a sign on the door of your shop- no other training or certification is necessary. There are a couple of "certification" organizations for mechanics (most seem to prefer "technician" over "mechanic"....), the most prominent seems to be ASE (National Insititute for Automotive Service Excellence), the rest are mostly Marque-specific, like BMW trained, or GM trained, etc.

To be ASE certified, you have to have a certain level of hands on experience, I think it only 1 year, and you have to take a series of 8 tests in different specialties. These include- brakes, suspension and steering, Auto transmission, manual transmission, engine repair, engine performance, heating and AC, electrical and electronic systems. Once you pass ANY ONE of these tests, you are "ASE Certified" and you can wear the patch they send you and display the ASE signs all over the shop, once you pass all 8 of these tests, you are certified as an ASE "Master Automobile Technician".

Now, the tests are NOT that hard -I decided to take them a few years ago, with little actual hands-on experience in a shop setting, I took 6 of the 8 tests in one sitting, and passed 5 of them- missed the 6th by 1 incorrect question. I then took the remaining 3 at the next testing date, and passed them all, so I am now a Master Auto Tech!!........FWIW. IMHO, if I went to a shop that did not have a bunch of MASTER techs on their staff, I would keep looking. If there were only 1 or 2 guys who had a couple of certifications, I would keep looking. Any tech that cannot pass all 8 of these tests would not work on my car. I hear alot of techs saying that these tests are a joke, and they don't waste their time with them- which may or may not be true, but if they don't have some sort of proof of their qualifications, I would not choose them.

Now, there are also Technical auto repair classes + courses at local community colleges, as well as some private specialty "automotive" colleges scattetred throughout the country- I cannot comment on those, as I have no experience with them.

HTH, Bret.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    I'm curious to how men and women become a automotive mechanic in the USA? In Australia a person normally works for 4 years on a low "apprentice" wage. For the first three years, you goto a technical college one day per week for your theoretical studies. When you have finished the four years, even though you do not have experience in an area, you are qualified to work on almost all parts on any car.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, i certainly know from this forum, that it does not apply for all mechanics, but I have heard in the USA, a mechanic is normally trained in only one area of the industry, like brakes, suspension, electrical etc. Is that how it works? Please fill me in
    For me the thing that matters most, is experience with my car. A lot of it is word of mouth. Luckily for me I have three shops in my neighborhood I trust.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    For me the thing that matters most, is experience with my car. A lot of it is word of mouth. Luckily for me I have three shops in my neighborhood I trust.
    I agree.
    Before I took my car anywhere, I started asking around and found two shops that were started by ex-dealership Master Techs. Both of these guys have like 18 -20 yrs at the dealership before they left to start their own shops.

-ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

well judging from most of the "sloppy seconds" work i get to put back together from another "mechanic" i think all you need to do is find some rusty bent pliers in the street and show up then talk some noise,
    i've been doing this **** for 10 years and am still suprised at some of the miserable **** i have had to clean up
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

thanks for the responses guys. Another thing I have heard that Australian mechanics do good in the USA (make good money), how true is that? The only guy I can think of in BMW circles in Brett Anderson.

Hey BigKriss--Want to immigrate?
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

unlikely Gayle. Australia is pretty dry (hardly ever rains) and the weather is great. I had a mate who went to the USA recently, he's 30. He went to harlem in New York, to check it out and he got scared. He also mentioned (in general) there are lot of "rednecks" around. It might have something do to with the extra 260 million (population) you guys have around.

Kriss, you're not contemplating what I think you're contemplating... are you?
    I did my mechanics apprenticeship a long time ago (Mercedes Benz).
    If you work for a boss, auto mechanics & panel beaters are the lowest paid of all the trades. Any subcontract electricians, carpenters, plumbers etc make a minimum of $35.00 to $45.00 per hour. As a mechanic you will make under $20.00 per hour. It's a totally ****ed trade to be in unless you like working for **** money. Believe me when I say the novelty will quickly wear off... it will!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

unlikely Gayle. Australia is pretty dry (hardly ever rains) and the weather is great. I had a mate who went to the USA recently, he's 30. He went to harlem in New York, to check it out and he got scared. He also mentioned (in general) there are lot of "rednecks" around. It might have something do to with the extra 260 million (population) you guys have around.

San Diego has weather just like Sydney. We get an average of 9 inches of rain per year-mostly in January and February. The temp range is mostly 50-80 with most days being 70.

Given that we don't really speak the same English I am not sure that we use the term redneck the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck#Modern_usage

I come from a poor white trash background and am proud of it. But there are not a lot of "rednecks" on either coast. Any contrary to what you might think from reading this board, I don't know a single person in my city that carries a gun.

Some of our city ghettos could scare anyone, but I don't think your friends experience is typical of the US. I actually faired quite well in the ghetto of New Oreleans last summer getting my car washed by hand. The whole hood walked by and said hello and not a single person bothered me as I sat in a lawn chair in the shade of the freeway exit ramp.

Friend, I am saying your objections are lame. Come on down. We could use another good bmw mechanic here.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast