GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: SRS light

Default SRS light

Just had the SRS light go on a couple of days ago. Took it to the dealer today for a reset and was told there was a "hard fault" and I needed a new SRS Control Module. I can get the part from BMA - are there any precautions I need to take when replacing it? It sits under the rear seat in my '95 540 and I don't want to trigger anything by doing something careless. Will I need a light reset after replacing the module?

Thanks, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jhsmd666
    Just had the SRS light go on a couple of days ago. Took it to the dealer today for a reset and was told there was a "hard fault" and I needed a new SRS Control Module. I can get the part from BMA - are there any precautions I need to take when replacing it? It sits under the rear seat in my '95 540 and I don't want to trigger anything by doing something careless. Will I need a light reset after replacing the module?

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, disconnect the battery and wait a good 15 minutes prior to doing anything with the SRS system.

Replacement of that box is relatively straight forward. I think you may need the hollow tip torx bits, though. T25/T30, something in there. Can't remember at the moment if it's held in with a hex or the hollow tips.

best, whit

Thanks Whit - I appreciate the information.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Jeff, disconnect the battery and wait a good 15 minutes prior to doing anything with the SRS system.

Replacement of that box is relatively straight forward. I think you may need the hollow tip torx bits, though. T25/T30, something in there. Can't remember at the moment if it's held in with a hex or the hollow tips.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by jhsmd666

Thanks, Jeff
    Got a new control module from BMA. Does anyone know if the module has to be "encoded" or programmed before putting it in and if so, can the dealer do it when they reset the SRS light?.

Thanks.