GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: bill, winfred, lowell (&c....) you ever have probs with the bmw water pumps

Default bill, winfred, lowell (&c....) you ever have probs with the bmw water pumps

as they all seem to be remanufactured..im talking about the m50 unit, with some type of space age plastic impeller. i called and asked and was told that was all that was sold in bmw dealerships. i'd rather not put a reman unit of anything in for the waterpump, but my noname reman is still holding strong after 50K + miles
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    as they all seem to be remanufactured..im talking about the m50 unit, with some type of space age plastic impeller. i called and asked and was told that was all that was sold in bmw dealerships. i'd rather not put a reman unit of anything in for the waterpump, but my noname reman is still holding strong after 50K + miles
    Reman? Really, when I replaced mine, I was thinking I should have spent a little more and gotten one from the dealer.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Default Ryan, autozone sells a new one under the duralast brand , its a lifetime warranty and

if you open it up and look at it ,its actually a gmb, which is a japanese brand, I have had no problems with any of the gmb pumps i've installed on various cars. Its 59.99 from autozone.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine

Ryan, it's a new pump even if the clown at the service desk calls it a "reman" -- anything that *can* be remanufactured is considered such, but it's still a new factory pump, hence no core charge.

The composite is different from the early plastics. It's a weight/cost consideration and we haven't seen one fail as of yet -- we stick them in all cars that are driven hard (track), and use the graf metals in everything else.

best, whit

i don't use dealer stuff so i have no record with them, i have had good luck with gmb on volvos, i usually use hepu on bimmers and when they are out laso and graf are other brands i get, geba is the only turd brand i have encountered
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

BMA sent me a geba before you told me about them. It's still sitting in the trunk, I will probably stick it on the new engine and see how it does. What'd you say they do -- 30k before they crap out?

best, whit

the bearings crap and wear out usually before 30k m20s and m50s are what i have delt with this on, not counting over the counter sale returns (i don't know those quanitys as i don't run the counter) i probably have had to redo 10 or more pumps including my own e30
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

thx lowell for that tidbit about durability....

thx for your concern bill, but i don't "need" a replacement. i had considered the autozone duralast before, but wanted to go german for such things.

thanks winfred for chiming in.

here's the explanation as to why i asked this question

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...023#post104023
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 10-21-2005 at 11:34 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."