GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another bimmer bites the dust...

Default another bimmer bites the dust...

I've been reading this board for ages, since I bought my bimmer back in 01...Back when we were all on roadflea, then we moved to .info (ps bring the old layout back, I hate this board) and up until now. My bimmer has been there, thick and thin, hot and cold. Its very possible that I'm retiring it this week, and moving on to greener pastures. Its a beater of the truest nature, featuring unpainted panels, hanging torn up door panels, loose doorknobs and random dirt here and there. I love the car, despite its ugly looks, but I got hit the other day and the insurance car is offering me more than its worth so I'm probably taking the cash. The car runs beautifully, the AC works well, the engine/transmission run fine, its just the "minor" cosmetic things that need some work.

So herein lies the rub. Provided I take the money and run, (~$2k), I need another car asap. I really want something that gets more than 24mpg, as opposed to the 17 that my m20 gets now, so I'd love a 90-91 318i. What kind of mileage do the m20 325i's get? Anyone have a lead on something else?

I'd also consider an m50 5 series since they get excellent gas mileage as well, from what I've heard. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to spend much more than 4 grand, so I'm a little worried, in fact, I might end up with a honduhh or a toyota, a step down. I'm keeping my eyes open, as it is no longer economical to keep my 5, but I love bimmers and I'd like another. Any suggestions? Should I try to squeeze the INS for more money?

Help a local dude out, i've helped him with his car many a times. Anyone who sees a good deal pass it on through this thread. E30, E34, E36, all good deals are welcomed. Keep him in the brand though!!!
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Check the ads for down here in Houston too and if you find something I'll go take a look at it for you.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

where are you located? I've seen quite a few E34s for sale (a couple for some time now) around Southern Oregon.

94 540i / 255k / 165k on the alusil / E.A.T. chip / Power Discs w/Akebono Pro Ceramic / E39 type 33's

-Brandon G

Quote Originally Posted by brodee
    Check the ads for down here in Houston too and if you find something I'll go take a look at it for you.
    Thanks man. I don't have much to spend and I appreciate the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Beez540
    where are you located? I've seen quite a few E34s for sale (a couple for some time now) around Southern Oregon.
    We are both up here in Dallas. I've got my eye open around here for some stuff. any help within about 200-300 miles would be great.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Wait ... your m20 e34 gets 17 mpg ? Mixed city/highway (about 50-50) I am currently getting 23.5. Highway only I've pulled as much as 26.

Maybe you just have a heavy foot ... trust me, I used to get 15 until I, through the process of elimination, with some help from a local police officer, realized I drive too hard to get real gas milage.

If you don't drive hard, just get your car tuned up/checked out ...

Quote Originally Posted by Torque
    Wait ... your m20 e34 gets 17 mpg ? Mixed city/highway (about 50-50) I am currently getting 23.5. Highway only I've pulled as much as 26.

Maybe you just have a heavy foot ... trust me, I used to get 15 until I, through the process of elimination, with some help from a local police officer, realized I drive too hard to get real gas milage.

If you don't drive hard, just get your car tuned up/checked out ...
    It needs a tuneup, it needs new front struts, it needs a new rear bumper, it needs a repaint, it needs some cosmetic work, it needs so much stuff man. I can't deal with it anymore beyond just plug and go. I could take my time and do all that, but I'm considering getting rid of it. It doesn't pass inspection here (which is past due now), so it'll need some work on that as well. Its overwhelming and frankly, its time for the car to go.

I don't have a heavy foot, I've babied it and I get no more than 18mpg overall. I've tried a lot. I've been "that guy" who drives 60 and doesn't accelerate hard and its so boring.

I am now that guy too ... well I try. It's difficult, but that one ticket raped me not too long ago.

i beat the **** out of my 325 and get 23mpg in mixed driving, my 535 gets 17-18 with slightly nicer treatment
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast