GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Cricket in the dash! (O.C. rattle fix thread)

Default Cricket in the dash! (O.C. rattle fix thread)

Due to my obsessive compulsive nature, with every new car I get I feel the need to go through and tighten everything possible to tighten, lube everything that could possibly be lubed. Thanks to my insanity, I have managed to eliminate 90% of the rattles that I had, but there's one in particular that is driving me nuts. The easiest way to describe it is a cricket chirping in the dash, passenger side near the pillar. It chirps with small and big bumps, or even over small humps that make the car go up and down. I've pulled all the door panels, replaced the broken clips, re-glued the pockets, tightened the wood trim. All the glovebox screws are tight, wood and all. Dash speakers are tight, so are the airbag screws. Everything I can think of has been tightened, AND IT WON'T GO AWAY! Ok, so it's really not a huge deal, but I'm anal. Any suggestions?
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Quote Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
    Due to my obsessive compulsive nature, with every new car I get I feel the need to go through and tighten everything possible to tighten, lube everything that could possibly be lubed. Thanks to my insanity, I have managed to eliminate 90% of the rattles that I had, but there's one in particular that is driving me nuts. The easiest way to describe it is a cricket chirping in the dash, passenger side near the pillar. It chirps with small and big bumps, or even over small humps that make the car go up and down. I've pulled all the door panels, replaced the broken clips, re-glued the pockets, tightened the wood trim. All the glovebox screws are tight, wood and all. Dash speakers are tight, so are the airbag screws. Everything I can think of has been tightened, AND IT WON'T GO AWAY! Ok, so it's really not a huge deal, but I'm anal. Any suggestions?
    Turn up the stereo. LOL!!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Perhaps I should mention that we have a 18mo. old, and my time in the car is the only peace and quiet that I get in my life. Damn you cricket for ruining my solitude!
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

I think you shoule check the covers under the dash, also check the dash pocket too ... if I were you I would open those covers and tighten all the vent hoses and makes sure nothing is moving .. also check the control unit behind the climate system it might be loose. make sure all the Dash hidden parts underneeth are tight. I would imagin that the sound is like a pice of the dash is rubbing a leather thingy or another part of the dash. sometimes those stuff never ends !! ... that'a all you can do OR you will need to remove the whole dash and do your stuff there.

good luck