GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1993 525i Drive Shaft Replacement - anyone tried?

Default 1993 525i Drive Shaft Replacement - anyone tried?

I have been advised by local BMW Dealer that a vibration I am experiancing in my 1993 525i is due to a bad drive shft. Wants about $1500.00 to replace it! Anyone tried this at "home?" I am sick over the money issue. I have moderate mechanical experience. Anyone replaced one. How easy / time consuming? Any tricks of the trade or repairs to the present shaft? Any help would be appreciated!

$1500?! whoa....

i had the drive shaft replaced on my '91 M5 for about $550 at and indy shop (that was including the price of the driveshaft)

However, you might want to make SURE that its your driveshaft and not just a flex disk. or possibly a cv joint

Default how do your flex disc and center bearing

look?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default It is difficult, but can be done by a beginner.

I did my E30, recently. You need the car up on 4 jack stands. Get a new DS, complete with flex disk from BMA or someplace. Sell your old one for $25 plus shipping to a rebuilder. New DS will cost around $600-700. So, save around 500 by DIY. Must have Bentley book. Exhaust must come off first.

Quote Originally Posted by shield17
    I have been advised by local BMW Dealer that a vibration I am experiancing in my 1993 525i is due to a bad drive shft. Wants about $1500.00 to replace it! Anyone tried this at "home?" I am sick over the money issue. I have moderate mechanical experience. Anyone replaced one. How easy / time consuming? Any tricks of the trade or repairs to the present shaft? Any help would be appreciated!

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeak
    $1500?! whoa....

i had the drive shaft replaced on my '91 M5 for about $550 at and indy shop (that was including the price of the driveshaft)

However, you might want to make SURE that its your driveshaft and not just a flex disk. or possibly a cv joint
    Jason, you mean u-joint, cv joint is off of the differential

hah, yeah....*note to self, pay attention to what the HELL you're typing*

Default poster, can you ....

describe what you mean by "vibration". winfred "implied" to me that it was somewhat difficult for the driveshaft to be damaged beyond reuse unless it was in some type of collision or was just old, or at least that's what i got from speaking to him....he might have said something else. the cv joint at the back that connects the DS to the differential is serviceable, the u joint is not....
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Did mine a month ago.

Bought it from BMA for $600. If your u-joints are bad then get a new shaft. Try replacing the center support bearing and bracket fist. $38. Took me 3 hours to replace the driveshaft...pretty ease job. Helps to have someone shift it from neutral to park though.

Default Next time my driveshaft goes south, I seriously might...

buy one from BMP with the replaceable u-joints. If you can replace u-joints and center bearing (not the case for all models) dude, more power to ya.
    hector

Quote Originally Posted by shield17