GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Has anyone replaced a PS pump?

Default Has anyone replaced a PS pump?

My PS seems to be making a weird, intermittent noise. In checking belts and pulleys I discovered that my water pump seems to be on it's way out, considering the wiggle in the shaft.
    A guy had a pretty new used one I got for next to nothing, and as I was leaving with it a BMW tech picking up parts said he
    s never seen a PS pump go bad on a 530. Any comments about that?

PS...as in power steering pump? Mine went bad a week after I bought my 520i. (Oh man, try driving an E34 with no power steering AT ALL, and 225/45 R18 tires!!!! It felt like I was pulling a truck!) The shaft broke and you could see about 1.5" of it already. Well, considering I bought a 15 year old car... not bad. I hope my new part will last that long as well. It was a simple job... lift, unbolt, replace leaking PS hose, bolt on new part, fluid, bleed... done. Whole thing took about 3 hours in the shop.

Default BMA can get the power steering pump seal rebuild kit.

Quote Originally Posted by TWKenny (formerly Ted)
    My PS seems to be making a weird, intermittent noise. In checking belts and pulleys I discovered that my water pump seems to be on it's way out, considering the wiggle in the shaft.
    A guy had a pretty new used one I got for next to nothing, and as I was leaving with it a BMW tech picking up parts said he
    Erick & I have both had good luck replacing the seals. It isn't a bad job.
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by TWKenny (formerly Ted)
    Pumps rarely fail on BMW's. Ironically enough the PS pump on my wife's old E36 blew a couple years ago. I ended up getting a used on from Vines BMW in Alabama, final cost was around $50 I believe. A lot cheaper than a new or aftermarket pump. I am not sure how it compares to the rebuild kit but I guarantee the replacement is easier to do

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

I got one from David at Vines too...I was just there Tuesday. I'm not sure if it's the pump or not, but I have to replace the water pump, so I figure I'll swap the PS pump too and see what happens.