GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hats of rear rotors

Default hats of rear rotors

i'm going to have to do my rear rotors and pads soon. currently, i have ate rotors. worked great, but the one thing i didn't like about them is the hats of them rust. i'm wondering if this is the same for balo and brembro? i know you can paint the hats before you install them, but i rather eliminate this step if possible. TIA.

im not sure exactly what i got but they rusted too, ill see if i can find out.

All I have on my maintenance history is rotors...their either balo or brembo, have to get my receipt from work to fill out the costs on maint list.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 09-27-2005 at 04:06 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

aren't there some with nickel plating or something for that?
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman540i
    aren't there some with nickel plating or something for that?
    Yes, but the heat cracks it off once they get hot; high temperature paint cracks sooner and low temp paint lasts a day. You can see it coming off the Ricer cars as such.

If you drive calmly you can avoid it, but they all go eventually.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

balo = brembo?
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Default I used some

high temp paint on my 850 and M5 brakes and got them pretty hot at the track using performance friction track pads and the paint still looks good. I cleaned the caliper well and used two coats of anti-rust high temp primer. Two coats of high temp anti-rust primer on the rotor hats as well before painting them with black high temp paint. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Yes, but the heat cracks it off once they get hot; high temperature paint cracks sooner and low temp paint lasts a day. You can see it coming off the Ricer cars as such.

If you drive calmly you can avoid it, but they all go eventually.

Yup, like Scott says, high temp paint is the key. Com'n rob....it's a simple extra step and a lot easier if a template is cut from a manila file folder to fit over the hub. As Bill R. always suggests, wash the rotors down with a soap and water solution to get rid of the shipping slime, paint with your favorite color high temp caliper paint and you'll have no rust to contend with.

all of the factory replacments are going to rust after they are heat cycled a few times
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default A number of the high end rotor manufacturers offer zinc plated

rotors, Its very reasonable at most plating shops to have done, you might want to take one rotor down and get an estimate to see what they want to zinc plate them... that won't affect their ability to shed heat like some paints and coatings might. Some of them also use silver cadmium plating too.. There are also heat transmitting black plating finshes that help to dissipate heat.

Quote Originally Posted by shragon
    i'm going to have to do my rear rotors and pads soon. currently, i have ate rotors. worked great, but the one thing i didn't like about them is the hats of them rust. i'm wondering if this is the same for balo and brembro? i know you can paint the hats before you install them, but i rather eliminate this step if possible. TIA.

how come mine have some sort of grey rubbery feeling coating? They have been on for about 2 or 3 years now, and I don't have a spec of rust.

afaik they are oem -what I was told.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast