GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front wheel bearing questions

Default Front wheel bearing questions

My '95 525iT has about 150,000 miles on it and I'm getting a roar out of the front left wheel. Could be the tire, so I'm going to check that further, too.

What's the typical symptoms of the front wheel bearing(s) going bad? Also, what size socket is needed to remove/install the center nut?

I think it's a 1 13/16 3/4 drive socket.
    I also bought a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter so it would work with my 1/2 drive torque wrench and breaker bar.
    Used a 6 foot length of pipe around the breaker bar to undo the 210 ft lb nut.
    Add a heat gun to heat any races that get stuck in there and a 3 arm reversible puller made the job quite easy. Make sure your torque wrench can exceed 210 ft lbs.
    Of course, dont forget to unstake the nut before you try to loosen or you'll bend the breaker bar.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by atomicDog
    My '95 525iT has about 150,000 miles on it and I'm getting a roar out of the front left wheel. Could be the tire, so I'm going to check that further, too.

What's the typical symptoms of the front wheel bearing(s) going bad? Also, what size socket is needed to remove/install the center nut?
    48mm for sure.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Can anyone describe what symptoms a bad front wheel bearing tends to exhibit and at about how many miles they typically go bad?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicDog
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Can anyone describe what symptoms a bad front wheel bearing tends to exhibit and at about how many miles they typically go bad?
    noise especially when the wight of the car shifts to the suspected side...

Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    noise especially when the wight of the car shifts to the suspected side...
    I get noise when I make a long hard left. Which side might be suspect?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Default Based on my understanding of this you should suspect

the right front wheel bearing. On an E28 I had it was exactly the opposite of expected, the car groaned on right hand turns and it was the right front wheel bearing. I guess it was an anomoly.

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    I get noise when I make a long hard left. Which side might be suspect?
    Craig in Davis
    89 535i auto to manual conversion
    Delphin-Metallic/Black leather 296k
    83 533i 5 speed Alpinweiss/Cardinal Red leather 236k

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Davis
    the right front wheel bearing. On an E28 I had it was exactly the opposite of expected, the car groaned on right hand turns and it was the right front wheel bearing. I guess it was an anomoly.
    If your car groaned on right turns and your right front wheel bearing was bad then mine should be the left fron since mine groans on left turns.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

I just had mine done. 165,000 mile on the car. Started to get a lot of road noise, the kind of sound that you would hear from a pickup with mud tires on. as you pick up speed the noise got worse, to the point of not being able to stand it, but on mine when I would put a little pressure ont he bearings, turning the steering wheel a little, the noise would go away. I didn't have time for the DIY so I farmed it out to Les Schwab. They let me supply the parts (BMA) and they charged I think $65, I would have to go to the file and look.

I ended up changing both sides out. The way I looked at it, was if these things made it 165K, if I change them both now I will not have to do it again in my lifetime.

Stephen
    535 Rear Wheel Enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by Badkrma
    I just had mine done. 165,000 mile on the car. Started to get a lot of road noise, the kind of sound that you would hear from a pickup with mud tires on. as you pick up speed the noise got worse, to the point of not being able to stand it, but on mine when I would put a little pressure ont he bearings, turning the steering wheel a little, the noise would go away. I didn't have time for the DIY so I farmed it out to Les Schwab. They let me supply the parts (BMA) and they charged I think $65, I would have to go to the file and look.

I ended up changing both sides out. The way I looked at it, was if these things made it 165K, if I change them both now I will not have to do it again in my lifetime.

Stephen
    Thanks for all of the responses. I've just purchased both hub bearing assemblies and plan to just go ahead and replace them. The car has a little over 150,000 miles on it and I'd rather do them now while I can do it myself and not have to do it in an emergency. The experiences I'm having with my bearings are very similar to Stephen's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast