GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Chip out there, whats ur opinion?

I have an E.A.T. in my 95 540ia.

I can say that it was one of the most noticeable upgrades in any car I have chipped or tuned.

If you have an auto, I suggest coupling it with a Dinan Tranny chip until Mark comes up with one.

When Mark comes out with a tranny chip, I will have a Dinan tranny chip for sale....
    E34 540iA sold 1/06

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD
    If you have an auto, I suggest the stock rev limit. For a 5 speed, one of the chips with the raised rev. limiter could be more fun.
    According to the chart that Phil Sanderson posted, EAT 98RON chip yields less power/torque than 95RON one? How is that possible?
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by nyc525iTe34
    I am also interested in reading a discussion debating the pros/cons of performance chips. I have heard that the EAT CHIP and the DINAN CHIP are two possible performance chip upgrades. I have not heard much about the pros and cons of each or if there are alternative chips to these. I am aware that this forum provides a direct link to purchase the EAT CHIP and that Mark D'Sylva (maker and seller of the EAT CHIP) frequents this forum and sometimes offers discounts for group buys.

I do have some questions about the performance chips before I go ahead and purchase it. If we're lucky Mark or somoene else just as knowledgeable will read this thread and answer our questions.

1. Where is improved performance felt most? (at what RPM, at what speeds, etc.)
    2. How does the chip affect torque, if any. Any way to compensate for this?
    3. What is the average HP gained?
    4. Does this provide better fuel consumption?
    5. Do we have to use higher octane?
    6. Do we have to reset anything (that is affected/controlled by the DME)?
    7. Why EAT over other chips (Dinan, etc.)?
    8. Will this chip affect emissions and State inspection tests?
    9. How long does someone have to drive with the chip installed before any real difference is felt?
    10. What type of driver tends to benefit most?
    11. Can the chip improve the performance of a Touring Edition?
    12. What price can be offered for group buy?
    Answers:

1) The increase is very noticeable around 3000 rpm. I haven't driven a 535 with one of my chips for over a year, maybe someone who owns the car can explain further.

2) it increases torque at all rpms above 2200. Compensate? Toss a few bricks or sandbags in the trunk

3) At the time I developed that chip, I was not able to create hp/torque curves as the dyno software was not calibrated. I just used the dyno as a rolling road, and monitored a/f ratio when tuning. The dyno is now calibrated, but I have not had a chance to dyno a 535 yet. Bruno (of www.bmwe34.net) compared my chip chip to both the latest Dinan and JC chips and liked mine best.

4) YES

5) 91 AKI (95 RON) or higher

6) NO

7) Whay not an EAT chip? see (3) above. Dinan tunes chips very conservatively, so that they pass emissions in CA.

8) My chips pass in Ontario, and have evan passed in CA on many cars, such as the E34 M5 and 535i. I've heard of one person in the USA whose car did not pass with an EAT chip, in a 540iA. Others have passed.

9) 100 miles or so for the full effect.

10) people who like a better accelleration, and those that appreciate better fuel economy

11) Yes

12) Last Easter, I had a special sale for people here. I didn't remove the sale prices and restore the regular prices as I was busy at first, and then was dealing with diabetes. I was so tired that I didn't change the prices. It's still $188 on the link you will find on this site. During that time, I've had maybe 3 sales. The prices won't get any lower than the $188 and soon I'll be restoring them back to $199, which is a great deal anyway.

When you buy a chip off ebay, you are buying a copy of some other chip that some company has taken the time to develop. You could even be buying a chip with maps that are far from correct as some of those ebay seller are making potentially dangerous changes to the maps. I've analysed a few and seen that for myself. There's no good reason I can see to buy a chip that someone is cloning.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    According to the chart that Phil Sanderson posted, EAT 98RON chip yields less power/torque than 95RON one? How is that possible?

When Phil sent me some charts earlier in the year, I told him that something seemed wrong with the results he sent. I'll have to look at the charts again.

Mark

Default a little confused

Mark, thanks for the heads up on my 89 525i a US version's chip. Was actually happy, since this means I can look forward to better performance with an upgrade. Visited your website, saw that there seemed to be but one offering for my particular model (far as I could tell that is), so am a bit confused re the 95 and the 98 options Phil cited in his post. So do you have more than one chip choice for my model, and if so, what are the differences in performance/function?

I noted in your raves section there were references to custom-writing of chips based on a customer's needs. Is this just for heavily-modified or race engines or do you do tweaks for daily drivers/occasional weekend warriors like me? Or is this what Phil was discussing in his post?

Also, do you have any dealers here in the Far East, am in Manila, the Philippines. An option for me would be to let someone in LA buy your EAT from a dealer you have there. Or like to Australia, have you ever shipped to Manila?

Forgive the blatantly commercial inquiry, was just going to e-mail you direct, but I thought your answers would also be of interest to others. Cheers!

So u guys dont recommend a Eat for my auto???
    also do i have to use 91 octane??

J.McWatters

Quote Originally Posted by McWatters
    So u guys dont recommend a Eat for my auto???
    also do i have to use 91 octane??

J.McWatters
    Yes you should se 91 octane. The chip works well in an auto. I plan to make a small revision to the auto chip in a few months.

MarkD

Definitely EAT!
    I used to have a Dinan in both engine and trans. Now it's EAT in the DME and Dinan in the trans.
    You can immediately feel the difference.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

So Mark D i will be sending you an order soon then, Um Any hints on to what those revisions are ????

J.McWatters

I use an EAT in my 540 and I like it.

94 540i / 255k / 165k on the alusil / E.A.T. chip / Power Discs w/Akebono Pro Ceramic / E39 type 33's

-Brandon G

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234