GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more M5 head questions...

Default more M5 head questions...

okey, long story short here....

car overheated, blew headgasket (last time i let my dad drive the car ANYWHERE!!!!)

From what i've heard odds are that it warped the head. My question is.... is it worth it for me to get a new head or just to remachine the old one? I've talked with two people so far, i said you can remachine it and it'll be fine, the other said remaching will work, but its likely to crack down the road.

Anyone care to chime in on this?

depends how warped it is, i've had several heads cut for customers and had no come backs for that, some shops can straighten a warped head in a special oven with clamps, i've never tried this service
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

interesting...i heard the M5 head was a little different because of the higher temps...any truth?

Default You can shave the head as long as you don't take out...

more than 12 mils of material. At least this is the case for the M30 according to Bently.
    hector

hrm...anyone have a bentley for an M5 around? mine is at my parents house :-\

Rainman Guest

Default The bmw factory service manual states that you cannot resurface an m5 head

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeak
    hrm...anyone have a bentley for an M5 around? mine is at my parents house :-\

yeah, i figured the manual would say something like that. BMW makes no money if you resurface a head as opposed to buying one from them. I was more curious as to if anyone had done it.

Default what year is your m5.....

may as well take a looksee in the catalogue and see if there's a hidden specification for resurfacing...
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

its a '91 3.6L

Default thought maybe that....

the catalogue would have part numbers for the m50 extra thick gasket, therefore listing one for the m5 if one existed, but no, the thicker m50 isn't listed, both are set at 1.74 mm, and the TIS says m5 head cannot be resurfaced....maybe if it is cracked you could get someone to weld the crack, or thicken iit if it needs to be milled, as i doubt you're going to come across a m5 head easily.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast