GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often should you change spark plugs?

Default How often should you change spark plugs?

I have a 1992 525i with 181,000 miles on it today. I last changed my spark plugs in June 2003 with 145,000 miles. The car seems to run okay but would I benefit from a fresh set of plugs? I know plug life is a lot longer than it used to be. What are your opinions?

Default I change mine every 30k...

...and use stock Bosch plugs.

Regards,
    Adnan

I was just checking the PO's repair records and my spark plugs were changed @ an Inspection 2 on 9/29/01 (38,642 miles ago). That's also when my fuel filter and timing belt were changed.

Next project in a couple of weeks: New spark plug wires, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

hmmm...mine have about 40k on them, I read somewhere that these last a long time...I should take a look at them one of these days to see if they are worn
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

after 30-40k they are getting pretty worn
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

No reason why platinums shouldn't last longer than that.

I change my plugs every 30k miles. I use the factory Bosch Super plugs. I tried the Bosch Platinums and they were very disappointing so I returned them (even I installed them, the store took them back since the clerk said it is common that many people return these). Local performance shop told me that the Bosch Platinum is in FACT inferior to Bosch Super. They never use them because they get many complaints from customers with Bosch Platinum. They highly recommended NGK plugs. Yes, you should put Bosch in German cars and NGK in Japanese cars but they said the NGK makes the best spark plugs and once I use them I would stick with NGK. I'll give NGK a try next time.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gray
    I have a 1992 525i with 181,000 miles on it today. I last changed my spark plugs in June 2003 with 145,000 miles. The car seems to run okay but would I benefit from a fresh set of plugs? I know plug life is a lot longer than it used to be. What are your opinions?
    Not to hijack the thread, but is it okay to unscrew the plugs and remount them? The Bosch Platinums I bought had little rings I assume to be crush washers around them.

-ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

yes you can remove and reinstall, just becareful not to overtighten

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    Not to hijack the thread, but is it okay to unscrew the plugs and remount them? The Bosch Platinums I bought had little rings I assume to be crush washers around them.

-ashley
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

the bosch platinums suck because of the tiny center electrode, it doesn't take much to fowl it, it doesn't matter how many ground electrodes they put on it it will allways be a piece of ****

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L
    [B] Local performance shop told me that the Bosch Platinum is in FACT inferior to Bosch Super. They never use them because they get many complaints from customers with Bosch Platinum. B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast