GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rotor set screw

Default rotor set screw

gonna change my rotors. One of the 'set screws' is stripped(allen wrench). Any ideas on how to get this set screw out??
    Thanks

use a dremel tool and make a deep (as possible) flat line and make it a flat head screw. If that doesn't work, keep grinding until the head is off, remove the rotor and back the screw out with pliers.

Default Big hammer!

Simply break the rotor off with a hammer. Hit from the back side and the rotor should break into pieces. use PB Blaster or similar spray on the threads and then clamp down with vice grips on the remaining part of the bolt and twist out. Some people also use a hammer to "tap" the set screw before trying to remove. Helps to break the bond.

Also, do not use an allen wrench. use a proper sized hex socket.

Quote Originally Posted by taralst
    gonna change my rotors. One of the 'set screws' is stripped(allen wrench). Any ideas on how to get this set screw out??
    Thanks
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Screw it- go for a cutting torch.

Nuke it

or

Drill the head off, take off the rotor, drill out the remainder just leaving the thread, the re tap the thread.

If it all goes wrong , once the wheels on it not going to go anywhere.
    Last edited by shapetoshoot; 07-22-2005 at 05:25 PM.

Default i didn't install set screws on my e30.............

no everytime i pull a wheel it is a nightmare to get the bolts back in.
    don't over tighten your new screws!!!
    tim s.

Default Just do like Russell said, only when you have the caliper off and you

have that area where the caliper was, thats where you can hit the rotor on the backside, only first rotate the rotor so that the setscrew is at the furthest point away from the area where your going to hit the rotor on the backside. This will give your hammerblow more leverage and crack out the area on the rotor around the setscrew. When it breaks out the screw then sticks up far enough that you can get it with a vice grip easily.

Quote Originally Posted by taralst
    Thanks

I've had good luck using an impact socket- this is basically a 4" long X 1" diameter metal shaft with a 3/8" or 1/2" square socket mount on one end- you set it to loosen or tighten, depending on what you want to do (I've only used them to loosen....), then you stick the correct allen socket on the end, insert it into the set screw, hold the body of the tool, and whack the other end with a hammer, or a BFH if needed. I have yet to have a rotor set screw that would not come loose with this tool.

Sears sells them- as do many folks on Ebay. They are not expensive, maybe $10-15 for a good one. Once you use one, you'll wonder why you didn't find it sooner!!

Bret

I have had good luck using a centre punch or really small chisel and tapping the edge of the head in the undo direction.

HTH

Bob

I gotta agree with Russell. That's exactly how I did mine - big hammer=better wallop! My discs were so badly cracked due to heat I'm surprised they never shattered sooner. The bit of locking screw that remains in the hub can easily be removed with molegrips. Just take the caliper off first!!

Cheers,

Shaun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast