GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Coils with a bit of yellow residue ??

Default Coils with a bit of yellow residue ??

I changed my plugs last week. I noticed two of the coils had a couple of drops of hardened yellow residue on them. Plug color was te same on all plugs. Does this mean impending coil failue or nothing?

TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

When the coil starts leaking candy, it's (usually) toast. I'd be surprised if the car's not misfiring.

best, whit

Default Seems to run fine

Coils are Bremi. Apparently original. However, Used Oil Analysis has shown fuel dilution. Also as I stated, all plugs looked the same with a light tan deposits when I changed them. Thanks for tthe advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    When the coil starts leaking candy, it's (usually) toast. I'd be surprised if the car's not misfiring.

best, whit
    Last edited by Russell; 07-15-2005 at 08:49 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default "candy" is ??

I assume you mean any leakage anywhere? What is see in a couple of spots is what looks like hardened yellow wood glue. Is this what you mean? I do not want to start replacing coils/assume a problem when I have none.

best, whit
    Thanks,

Yup. Candy = caramel/wood glue colored insulation that melts out of the center (covered part) of the pack. If it ain't broke (or about to break in the near future), don't fix it. It's very weird to me that the car isn't misfiring. Recently, I've been seeing/hearing about a lot of weird coil pack issues, including that of Charles, whose coils both visually checked out and passed resistance tests (yet, I think he got rid of his car's problem by replacing the packs). But, there's a first for everything.

Go figure

best, whit

Default Thanks- Now a related question

I say it does not miss. However, I cannot be sure. For example, It may miss at low/high speed and I not really know it. It may be my driving pattern (mostly commute on 2 lane roads at 55-70 mph masking plug color changes per cylinder. The plugs all looked looked the same.

Now if I need to replace selected coils, should I replace with same brand Bremi? For that matter, should I relplace all coils? I have heard they can get weak over time. Mine are orignal with about 112,000 miles.

Thanks for your advice.

Yup. Candy = caramel/wood glue colored insulation that melts out of the center (covered part) of the pack. If it ain't broke (or about to break in the near future), don't fix it. It's very weird to me that the car isn't misfiring. Recently, I've been seeing/hearing about a lot of weird coil pack issues, including that of Charles, whose coils both visually checked out and passed resistance tests (yet, I think he got rid of his car's problem by replacing the packs). But, there's a first for everything.

Go figure

best, whit
    Last edited by Russell; 07-16-2005 at 02:36 PM.
    Thanks,

Russell -- I wouldn't replace anything unless there's a problem. Maybe keep a spare or two in the trunk. If there hasn't been any noticeable change in performance (and on an M50, you'd know the misfire at higher RPMs), why throw money at it. Like I said -- it's very weird to me that there are visually bad packs yet the car's running fine by all accounts; but seeing as I'm a relative newbie with these things, there's a first time for everything

best, whit

My ears starting burning....

Anyway.. yeah, all my coils had all the candy inside and pasted tests, however two of my new coils have candy.. but the car works fine.

(and it's not bad boot plugs either)

-Charles