GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Touring Tonight

Default Bought a Touring Tonight

I looked at a 92 525iT yesterday, Cashmere Beige, 183k miles, clean interior, heated seats, and made seller an offer of $3300 tonight and he took it. I'll pick up tomorrow. Car drives and shifts nice. Feels like a ball joint or control arm is bad but I can replace those in my sleep now. New tires, new radiator, new exhaust system including cat, new sealed beam headlights. One question though, I'm planning on lowering the front but want at least a 1" drop. Won't any H&R or Eibach springs for a 525i accomplish that up front? Am I correct in assuming that all the early wagons have the self-adjusting rear suspension? I have a set of 18" Alpina like wheels off my 540 that might work until I find something I like better. Can't wait to pick up the old girl tomorrow. :-)

Thanks!

Paul L

Congrats paul! The eibachs or H & R will drop it about an inch they go lower with V8 weight. Sounds like most of the maintenance items have been done just a fine polishing of front end componants to follow. I have no idea about the self leveling option...yet!
    LOL
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Welcome to the Touring world. I am also considering lowering the front-end as it does look much more "racked up" than a sedan. Only problem is lower springs lower it by too much !!!. It will spoil the rear ride comfort as the suspension becomes a lot more stiffer!.

Trying to find a compromise. And I am considering cutting the front stock springs maybe one coil or a bit less. Holding on to the stock rears as lowering springs for rear had about 4 coils almost stuck to each other giving very little "bounce", hence resulting in stiff rear!.

After a few week's drive, tell me how different it is compared to your 540 sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul
    I looked at a 92 525iT yesterday, Cashmere Beige, 183k miles, clean interior, heated seats, and made seller an offer of $3300 tonight and he took it. I'll pick up tomorrow. Car drives and shifts nice. Feels like a ball joint or control arm is bad but I can replace those in my sleep now. New tires, new radiator, new exhaust system including cat, new sealed beam headlights. One question though, I'm planning on lowering the front but want at least a 1" drop. Won't any H&R or Eibach springs for a 525i accomplish that up front? Am I correct in assuming that all the early wagons have the self-adjusting rear suspension? I have a set of 18" Alpina like wheels off my 540 that might work until I find something I like better. Can't wait to pick up the old girl tomorrow. :-)

Thanks!

Paul L
    Nice, so where are the pics, you didn't u take any yet??? when you do be sure to post 2048 pixel wide pics and crash the server for Ed...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by emw525E34
    I am also considering lowering the front-end as it does look much more "racked up" than a sedan. Only problem is lower springs lower it by too much !!!. It will spoil the rear ride comfort as the suspension becomes a lot more stiffer!
    I bought a set of M5 front springs to put on our touring. Should only lower it by about 3/4". Just enough to lose some gap, but not give it a harsh ride.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

I wouldn't count on the M5 springs lowering the front of the Touring. I tried the same thing on my old 535i sedan, but the M5 springs actually increased the front ride height. I attributed it to the extra weight that the M5 carries (according to the ETK, the S38 short block weighs 30kg more than the M50 short block). If you're looking for a 1/2" to 1" drop in front, try the factory sport springs. With the stock spring pads, you'll get a 1/2-3/4" drop. With 3mm spring pads, you'll get a 3/4-1" drop.

Drew Zacharda

6-speed Touring (with factory sport springs and 3mm upper spring pads)

Quote Originally Posted by brodee
    I bought a set of M5 front springs to put on our touring. Should only lower it by about 3/4". Just enough to lose some gap, but not give it a harsh ride.
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Default Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ
    I wouldn't count on the M5 springs lowering the front of the Touring. I tried the same thing on my old 535i sedan, but the M5 springs actually increased the front ride height. I attributed it to the extra weight that the M5 carries (according to the ETK, the S38 short block weighs 30kg more than the M50 short block). If you're looking for a 1/2" to 1" drop in front, try the factory sport springs. With the stock spring pads, you'll get a 1/2-3/4" drop. With 3mm spring pads, you'll get a 3/4-1" drop.

Drew Zacharda

6-speed Touring (with factory sport springs and 3mm upper spring pads)

Does anyone know the part number for the 3mm spring pads? Leaning towards the M-tech Sport springs at the moment. Front seems way up in the air compared to my lowered (H&R) 540. I just bought the car home tonight. Rides like a champ at 80mph. Will get tune-up parts for a redo this weekend and put on a rack tomorrow to scope out the front end work needed. Interior is in awesome shape for the mileage with the exception of a couple of loose door panel inserts. Glue or epoxy to fix? Will post a pic tomorrow if I get a chance.

Paul

31 33 1 128 523

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul
    Does anyone know the part number for the 3mm spring pads? Leaning towards the M-tech Sport springs at the moment. Front seems way up in the air compared to my lowered (H&R) 540. I just bought the car home tonight. Rides like a champ at 80mph. Will get tune-up parts for a redo this weekend and put on a rack tomorrow to scope out the front end work needed. Interior is in awesome shape for the mileage with the exception of a couple of loose door panel inserts. Glue or epoxy to fix? Will post a pic tomorrow if I get a chance.

Paul
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Default Ok Here's a Pic

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Nice, so where are the pics, you didn't u take any yet??? when you do be sure to post 2048 pixel wide pics and crash the server for Ed...
    Only had time to take a quick pic tonight. I've ordered a pair of control arms and sway bar links for the front end. Got a great price from FCPGroton. Going to take tomorrow and try and get a trans fluid flush. Bought a case of brake-kleen to clean up the underside of the engine compartment from years of accumulated dirt and grease. Will install new spark plugs tomorrow and change rear end lube. Once the ride is stabilized I'll look into the lowering springs. It has new struts up front and it looks like it's all wheel drive it's so high. Can someone put me onto the correct CD changer model I would need?

Thanks!

Paul

Road Trip

There really is nothing like driving tank after tank at 70+ in a Touring. It is the most aptly named car I have ever owned. (that's south texas caliche muddin up the tourer...11miles of it before hitting the .9 mile runway seen in background to quail hacienda last feb)

Cheers..

geoffrey
    Last edited by Elekta; 06-30-2005 at 09:30 PM.

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast