GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need your help, re: A/C

Default Need your help, re: A/C

Well, the compressor clutch locked up yesterday afternoon in 90 degree weather. My '92 525i is R12 so it will have to be converted to R134a. Any recommendations on what I should replace other than the compressor, drier, and a conversation kit? Also are there any specific manufactures I should consider when selecting a compressor?

There is no absolute need to change the compressor. Check this one out
    http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/...con_R134a.html

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    There is no absolute need to change the compressor. Check this one out
    http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/...con_R134a.html

I viewed that, but I did not see anything about a locked compressor due to the clutch. The system was fine until the compressor clutch failed. I have been told by serveral people including a few former BMW dealer Techs that you are better off to replace the compressor than repair the clutch.

It's a judgement call and a lot depends if you're providing the labor. If the system has been leakfree I think I'd change the clutch. At a minimum I'd remove the belt and see if the pulley spins free. If it doesn't you may only need a clutch bearing. Clutch bearing replacement is less expensive then a new clutch, and MUCH less expensive then new compressor. It's a DIY job that can be done without having to discharging refrigerant, replace dryer, evacuate system and recharge.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by TUD
    I viewed that, but I did not see anything about a locked compressor due to the clutch. The system was fine until the compressor clutch failed. I have been told by serveral people including a few former BMW dealer Techs that you are better off to replace the compressor than repair the clutch.
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    It's a judgement call and a lot depends if you're providing the labor. If the system has been leakfree I think I'd change the clutch. At a minimum I'd remove the belt and see if the pulley spins free. If it doesn't you may only need a clutch bearing. Clutch bearing replacement is less expensive then a new clutch, and MUCH less expensive then new compressor. It's a DIY job that can be done without having to discharging refrigerant, replace dryer, evacuate system and recharge.

Paul Shovestul
    I don't think it will spin as the car would not start until my BMW dealer cut the belt off. It just so happens that the clutch locked up while I was at the dealer.

Decided to just go with the BMW reman compressor, new drier, retro-kit, and bracket.

Can Anyone tell me where I can ourchase the Conversion kit that includes the receiver drier? Got a 1991 525i with r-12

the trick on replacing just the clutch, IF you can find one it probably cost as much as a reman compressor and now you are waiting for your old compressor to crap and making that expensive clutch useless. that or when the clutch took a dump it chewed up the snout of the compressor
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it