GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: BMW Radio code

Default BMW Radio code

i took out the original BMW stereo from my 95 525i about a year ago and put in an after market stereo. however, now i want to go back to the original and put in the after market one in the other car. as far as i remember, to turn the radio back on ill have to get a code to "activate" it. is that right? how do i get one? do i have to go to a dealer (and pay them?) for this or is it something i can find somewhere based on the VIN?

The local dealer said I just needed the serial number for the radio. Some require some sort of proof of ownership (Car or radio?). I believe mine was a 5 digit code punched into the radio inself, using the preset buttons.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

do you promis you didnt nick it?
    1989 525i E34(god bless em) M20/Power chip/17" M5 mags/soprts exhaust with headers.

lol yes i definitely promis that.
    i bought the car in August from a local car dealer (not BMW specific). the connection between the radio and the cd changer wasnt plugged in all the way, so i took the radio out to fix it. then i realized i might as well install the after market stereo from my old car, so i did that. now, however, the cd player in my mom's car is broken and she is stuck with nothing but radio (and let me tell you, radio here sucks) so i want to put my panasonic player in her car and put the original radio back in mine. that way, she'll have a cd player, and ill have a cd changer. plus, i think im gonna pick up an ipod with one of those FM transmitters and just listen to the music from that through the radio..

Ah, got it. called the local BMW dealer, no questions asked they gave it to me over the phone. just had to give them the serial #

Default That's great security...

Quote Originally Posted by ilya
    Ah, got it. called the local BMW dealer, no questions asked they gave it to me over the phone. just had to give them the serial #
    Of course, these radios aren't worth stealing anymore...

Anthony
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Just as a side benefit, I like the fact that the red light blinks on the anti-theft radio. I wish the obc would also blink instead of remaining constant red, when a code is set. It might not stop a professional theif, but may have some effect on an amateur.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Who would steal a tape player these days, unless it was a really desperate E34 owner