GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Removing Front Seats?

Default Removing Front Seats?

This weekend I am planing on cleaning the carpets in my 95 525i. I want to pull the front seats to get under them.. Is there anything I need to know about getting them out? I am worried about the electronics and motor that operate the seats??
    95 BMW 525i
    Loveland, CO. USA

Nope, it's easy. Need a few tools - socket and a small extension (or a spanner and some patience). The seat belt bolt can be a POA, as can be the belt height tensioner, but other than that....

...just have at it. Motors are pretty well up there. Just start with the seat at it's highest/furthest forward (to remove back bolts), then slide it back and down, push forward, and pop it out.

best, whit

Whit
    Is the belt height tensioner that cable pulley type mechanism? How is that disabled and put back?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Hi Ralph.

Yup, but I don't understand what "disabled and put back" means?

The height adjustment relates to where the seat is, laterally and horizontally, on the track. Kind of an interesting design. The thing is fastened to the uppermost outboard track with a metal clip. After years of seat adjustments, I can see how one would pop off. Once it's off, the cable just sits there and the belt tensioner stays at the bottom of it's range (held in place by a spring), creating a not so comfortable ride for the occupant of the seat, unless they're "broughaming" (ha ha ha).

HTH.

Best, whit

Make sure you do not turn the ignition on while the seats are out. If you do the airbag light will turn on requiring the dealer to reset.

The seatbelt height adjuster needs to be unhooked from the seat near the outboard rear seat-mounting bolt. There is a simple clip that needs to be rotated and removed.

The seatback will need to be semi reclined in order to get the front of the base unhooked from the floor.

Warren
    91 318is
    95 525iT

Disconnect the battery, after positioning the seats for removal, to be safe. I overlooked this instruction when I removed my seats for the same reason last year.

That reminds me, I need to attend a Lone Star BMMCCA meeting to reset my SRS light...