GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tweeters

Default Tweeters

I was considering upgrading my speakers as they are the last speakers I have left to do so but when I went to take them out today the ones that are there look pretty good already. They've bmw logos on them so i thought they were orignial until i found another speaker wire tucked underneath them that isn't bein used. Anyone have any ideas why there's two sets of speaker wires going to them? the previous owner had an aftermarket head unit in the car so i reckon this has got something to do with it. also, is it worth changing these tweeters? judging by the size of the magnet on them they appear to be of good quality.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachm...tid=1094&stc=1
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachm...tid=1095&stc=1
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachm...tid=1096&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Rory535i; 04-23-2005 at 01:28 AM.

OMG!!! PLEASE get rid of them!!!!

These are ancient Nokia speakers... they are probably built well... but they sound about as good as the speakerphone on your Nokia phone!!! Hahahahaha!!!

The wires you see are the ORIGINAL wiring harness... the wires connected are now the new ones from the new aftermarket HU.

I still kept mine after I upgrades to components... just in case I sell my car and the next owner wants all the original stuff... besides, it does have the BMW roundel.

But these tweeters sound like crap. Go ahead and change them.

ok thanks. i don't think i ever noticed their crappiness as a result of having good speakers everywhere else! is there a particular type I should get? i saw some today but they were ones that look like you just stick them to the interior of your car. obviously i need something that has no cover or anything on them and will screw back into the original housing. when i go back to the shop what should i ask for?

Oh, any will do... most of the new tweeters are "surface mount" ones.

What I did was, I removed the old tweeters... so that leaves you a small cup area.

I just mounted the new tweeters INSIDE that area since new tweeters are self contained and don't need to be 'mounted'. They fit, dome, grille, and all.. I even kept the rotating base so that the tweeters are angled towards the cabin.

I secured the new tweeters with double-sided tape, then replaced the grille. Looks OEM, no one can see the difference unless you look inside then you'll see silver domes inside through the grille. I'll try and take a photo and post it in a while.

good idea, think that's what i'll do! thanks again.

Hah. Y'know, that's funny, because my friend who runs Infinity Kappa Perfects likes my stock tweeters better than his (as do I).

The problem is that the stock amp is ****. Replace it, and everything is golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    The problem is that the stock amp is ****. Replace it, and everything is golden.
    i have a sony head unit. 4x50 watts

Quote Originally Posted by Rory535i
    i have a sony head unit. 4x50 watts
    So what are you planning on running as a crossover?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    So what are you planning on running as a crossover?
    no everything works fine, i just wanted to change my speakers. the previous owner has it all wired up so that it all works. i've had the sony in for over a year now and all i did was plug in the connections and away she went. never had any problems with it.

Does your friend run through the stock amp? While you run though a better amp?

I'm running an Alpine amp with a crossover for the 6 speakers in the car. Separate Soundstream amp for the sub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast