GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got big $ quote for headwork today...what should I do?

Default Got big $ quote for headwork today...what should I do?

Blew my M30 engine headgasket last month (rear exhaust side coolant hole <--> cylinder #6), so I took it apart. Finally, the head made it to the machine shop at the end of last week.

Today I got a quote of $1200 to fix the head. He said the rocker arms and camshaft are worn and need to be replaced, but the head itself is in good shape. Do I really need to have all of that done? Thats more money than a good used engine.

I did not see anything wrong with the parts myself. (I have some pictures I could try to upload later.) It has 242k miles on it. And seemed to be running fine before the headgasket blew.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    DanH
    1989 535iA 254k Miles
    1992 535iM 330k Miles

Find a new machinist. BMA can get rockers, new eccentrics. I've got a good stock camshaft, but I'd suggest a bigger regrind. I went with a 284 from Ireland.
    erased due to slander

For real...I replaced all of my eccentrics two months ago...did bolts, washers, and eccentrics. Parts cost me about $30 in total. Rocker arms might be a bit more expensive, but heck - If the head is flat, why not just do the work yourself? You were brave enough to pull the thing apart, I'm sure you can figure out how to compress valve springs and what not. How well do the valves seat as they are?

best, whit

What prompted you to replace the eccentrics? Something like flat spots? At what point do you make the decision to replace rather then just turn them? They don't sit right on the top of the valve or something like that?

Boy for $1200 I'd expect new guides, valves, springs, keepers, seats reground, head planed and everything, maybe even ported and polished! Maybe you could just have it planed and see how it works out. Was it running good before?

Whats the worst that happens if I just resurface the head and re-install into the car with the supposedly bad rockers and camshaft? Break a rocker arm? Lose a few horsepower? Bend valves? Other?

Also, Martin what performance gain did the Ireland 284 regrind get you? How much did the machinist charge to do the work? Mine mentioned something about $600 for the new camshaft, not sure if that included labor. I see Ireland is selling the 284 for $190.

I'll be looking for a new machinist also...although this place has a long reputation. He said most m30 heads are cracked when brought there to be rebuilt.
    DanH
    1989 535iA 254k Miles
    1992 535iM 330k Miles

Default I replaced my eccentrics to make better valve adjustments.

Worn eccentrics can be hard to set precisely where desired. The eccentric can wear & develop a ridge that the valve tip will ride. Worn eccentrics can make for an either too large or too narrow valve gap.
    erased due to slander

It was running just fine until the headgasket gave way.

Thats why I dont see why it should be so bad. I think the quote included rocker arms, camshaft, and something about seats being reground, maybe valve guides.

Quote Originally Posted by JonE
    Boy for $1200 I'd expect new guides, valves, springs, keepers, seats reground, head planed and everything, maybe even ported and polished! Maybe you could just have it planed and see how it works out. Was it running good before?
    DanH
    1989 535iA 254k Miles
    1992 535iM 330k Miles

Default Sounds like bullcrap; "most m30 heads are cracked".

I think my machinist bill was about $400. I got new guides.
    The ireland 284 seems to have moved the torque band up the rev range just a bit. The 284 does make charges to 6k rpm more worthwhile. It pulls well.
    erased due to slander

I dont know how well the valves seat, other than it ran fine... not sure how to check it, thats why its at the machinist.

Compressing valve springs seems to be a tricky job without the proper tools so I dont know about doing that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    For real...I replaced all of my eccentrics two months ago...did bolts, washers, and eccentrics. Parts cost me about $30 in total. Rocker arms might be a bit more expensive, but heck - If the head is flat, why not just do the work yourself? You were brave enough to pull the thing apart, I'm sure you can figure out how to compress valve springs and what not. How well do the valves seat as they are?

best, whit
    DanH
    1989 535iA 254k Miles
    1992 535iM 330k Miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast