GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E.A.T. chip cons

Default E.A.T. chip cons

I've had my e34 for only 5 months and totally love it. I just discovered this message board a few weeks ago, and it has already made owning my e34 even more enjoyable. However, I would like to add more HP to my 93 525. Putting it in S mode can only give you so much. I've read a lot of previoius posts, and everyone seems to give Mark D'Sylva's E.A.T. chips very positive reviews. I'm thinking of getting one, but want to know if there are any downsides to having one of these chips in an e34?

Also, can any 525 owners confirm the 22 peak HP gain stated on the bmwe34.net web site? And is there a noticeable increase in torque? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think the only cons are increased fuel consumption and engine wear because you will want to drive it harder hehe

actually once the tendency to stomp on it wears off the fuel mileage improves a tad, one or two mpg on the interstate

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    I think the only cons are increased fuel consumption and engine wear because you will want to drive it harder hehe
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I agree, improved fuel economy when you're not stomping on it.

But really the only negative might be the requirement for premium fuel. imho, that is really all that's being done with the eat chip, your car is now tuned for premium fuel, whereas before it was required to be able to handle regular and premium. With the EAT Chip, the timing is mapped perfectly for Premium Fuel only and can thus provide more power (through timing advancement), and be more efficient. Again, this is my opinion based on what I've heard, the more knowledgeable can certainly chime in.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

I've been using the EAT chip for over a year and a half. Before that I had a Dinan, then a Conforti; no contest: EAT wins hands down. I haven't seen any downside other than the higher probability of getting a ticket, and the use of Premium fuel.
    I think it should be the first mod any E34 owner should do regardless of model.
    Thanks again, Mark D!
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

I was under the empresion from BMWE34 that the EAT chip does not require super, is that true? What happens if you run regular?
    Last edited by franks; 03-23-2005 at 12:16 AM.