GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic Converter Removal

Default Catalytic Converter Removal

Hello Again Guys,

I am new to the world of BMW's so some of my questions may seem a bit silly to some of you vets out there. I was wondering if it is possible to remove the catalytic converter without disturbing the engine. I am emissions exempt here in NH ( 1992 535i ) so legality is not an issue... I have been told by a few individuals that removing the cat will negatively affect the performance of the engine. Is this true ? Is there a way around it ? A performance chip maybe? I know that was the case with my Dodge Ram.. I removed the cat and used the chip ( A JET Programmable )to reprogram the onboard computer ... any advice would be welcome... Thanks for your time...

You can go to a local independent shop... no major brand like Midas... They can cut out the cat and put in a generic cat in the place of it... all they have to do is match the capacity and size of cat to original one.

I heard someone had a Magnaflow cat installed for like $120 each. Cat itself is like $70 alone.

If you go to Midas or other major brand co... it will be instantly $600 per side... they do it because they can get away with it.

Umm yeah.. did I type that question in a different language? I asked if I could remove it without problems... I know I can replace it .. thanks anyway

rofl

hmm very helpful forums indeed ....thanks anyway guys

you won't so much as get your threads read with an attitude like that, just in case you weren't sure. this ain't some honda rice forum. and a great deal of people here don't speak english, so for some it might indeed be a different language.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSix

Default Hey King, I can help...

I know english good and can therefore provide the answer you are seeking. Below is my cat-less exhaust. The O2 sensor goes somewhere warm, take your pick.

Stick around and you might learn something,

Good Luck

Last edited by Dave M; 03-11-2005 at 05:55 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    you won't so much as get your threads read with an attitude like that, just in case you weren't sure. this ain't some honda rice forum. and a great deal of people here don't speak english, so for some it might indeed be a different language.

OK well you can lose your attitude as well.. I asked I simple question, to which I recieved a reply that was totally off topic, and the next person was kind enough to throw in a "rofl".... hmm wonder why I'd have an attitude ....

OK well you can lose your attitude as well.. I asked I simple question, to which I recieved a reply that was totally off topic, and the next person was kind enough to throw in a "rofl".... hmm wonder why I'd have an attitude ....
    Possibly you already lost some brownie points from the get-go since you want to remove a cat and kill in the environment, just because you can get away with it legally. If you want some extra horsepower, get an EAT chip and if you need to replace the old cat, go with a high-flow or a magnaflow. The exhaust system is pretty efficient as it is... these aren't Hondas.

Okay. Let's ask a different question.

Why?

Has your cat failed? Do you think this is going to help performance? (Pro tip: it's not - unless you're just dying for that extra 3hp).

A 535i is not OBDII - you don't have any emissions checking apparatus after the cat. You can absolutely remove it - go for it. It's just.. dumb..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast