GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stereo help; new headunit and speakers

Default Stereo help; new headunit and speakers

I'm going to be doing a complete stereo up grade on my '90 525i, and need to know how much of the original wireing I can use. I'm going with a 45w x 4 deck and plan to run new cable to the front two kickers. I want to cut out the rear deck speakers and use the existing wireing but I have a couple of Q's
    Where is the amp for the rear decklid speakers located?
    Can a couple of the tweeter wires be used to carry the signal for a rear amp and subwoofer?
    I am going to be using a high end head unit; do I need to use filters with the stock wireing?
    And what is the purpose for the large capacitors I see in alot of stereos?
    thanks

Use RCA cables from the head unit to the amp, you will produce much better quality sound that way. Capacitors are used to take the load off of the alternator/battery of the car when the amp draws a large load when listening at a loud volume. It's just a filter to keep the voltage consistent. The stock wiring is great, but you need to find out how the car is wired before getting into this, it's not like any other car. The speaker wires all junction in the trunk, where the amp should be located if you have one (driver's side behind the carpet on the side) There are wires running from the amp to the head unit area, and sets running to each individual speaker (on my '93 525i at least). I had to find out what wires were coming from the head unit, and cut them off the harness to splice them into the speaker wires. There are wiring diagrams on www.bmwe34.net, and

http://bmwe34m5.com/articles/E34_91_535_wiring.zip

unzip it and read the text file to find the acrobat file regarding radio wiring.

PS: If you use RCA cables and an external amp for the speakers, you dont have to worry about the stock wiring behind the head unit, only finding power for the head unit.
    Last edited by bimmerd00d; 03-08-2005 at 05:21 PM.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

what kind of head unit did you get
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

It will either be an Alpine or Eclipse head unit. I like the layout of the Eclipse better but a lot of high end car manufactures seem to go with Alpine (better sound quality?) so its still a little up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Incantation
    what kind of head unit did you get

Bondhell,

The amp is located in the trunk driveside, just behind the tail lights. Remove the side panel and you can see it and its associated wiring there. The rear deck speakers are tricky to take out, it takes longer.
    For the front kick panel, you can only fit 5-1/4 inch cones there. Depending on the type of speakers you want/have, the magnet size may get in the way becuase the space clearence is not great in there.
    If you are willing to cut the kickpanel, you can fit 6.5 inch speakers that will sound great. But caution, the depth of the speakers due to magnet clearence. I got kicker 5.25in ones with a huge magnet, I had only about 2mm clearence from the magnet to the metal. It works. I stick black electrical insultation tape in the space to prevent any possible clunking noise in case there is contact there.

Best of luck.

Yah, Ive heard that was a problem. What I plan to do is cut out a circle of mdf and adhere it to the kick panel, then use a grill to cover it all.

there is a ton of space behind the kickpanel.. the issue is not the depth of the panel, it is the placement of the speaker because the outer rim of the speaker has only so much lateral room to fit within.. you have to make sure you cut it out in the right spot so that the panel doesn't close the speaker back against the metal frame.

this is not an issue on passenger side; on drivers' side, place the speaker as far forward into the dead pedal and it will fit fine.
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

ok well you mentioned high-end. that is a relative term.. depending on who you talk to.

i would suggest that if you are going to spend big money on a deck, don't bother installing anything until you can rip out all the old shxt and replace everything.. the stock wires are a pain in the ass the way they're set up and you're far better off running new everything than using the old setup.

might be a better idea to spend less on a deck and buy some good wiring.. so that when you want to put in a real amp and a sub, etc.. you will be set up properly.
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Im thinking of a $150 used alpine or eclipse hu as opposed to a jvc or sony. I'm going to be installing it my self and I will be running new wire to the front 2 speakers. I would rather not rip apart the interior to run new cable if i can help it. I wonder if there is a way to run cable under the center console...? Even with using the stock cable for the rear speakers, I still have an issue with getting a signal back to the subs....?
    Last edited by bondheli; 03-10-2005 at 03:41 PM.

well..
    #1 it would be silly to try to run a sub (or subs) with deck power
    #2 it would be more silly to try to run a sub (or subs) with deck power in the trunk of an e34.. you wouldn't even hear it.

you can run the wires through the center console.. it's a big pain in the ass. it's easier to run them left, under the steering column.. down the left front kickpanel and run it under the carpet at the edge of the door sill to the back. it's actually quite easy to set it up this way.

i suggest you list your goals for the car.. there are a lot of us in the forum who have spent a lot of time (and money) setting things up differently in the car and can make a lot of suggestions that will prevent you from wasting your own time and money. and of course we'd all be happy to help you out..
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast