GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo oil return,

Default turbo oil return,

before i start putting holes in anything were abouts is everyone doing this, the sump or block. better still if annyones got a pic that would be great.

here is a pic of a stock 745i turbo engine if its any help to your conversion

this pic shows the oil pipes.

I put mine in the oil pan. If I screwed it up, it's easier to replace than the block.

Unfortunately it leaks somewhat right now, I need to get some RTV on it or something. It's not massive, but it's enough that I don't want to let it go for much longer.

1992 535i TCD-s2

On the E28 turbo conversion I made last week, I used a powersteering pump for the oil cooling for the turbo.I hooked it up to the engine instead of the aircom pump. To be sure the pressure was high enough, I had the pully replaced by a very small one(70mm) so it would pump a lot faster. I used a dry sump tank of 2 litres and a 19 row oilcooler to complete it all up.Now the turbo has it's own "dry sump"coolin/lubrication system. I use 0/w30 castrol oil for the lubrication. For now this systems is working and it should work a lot better than oil from the engine, as it has more presure and better cooiling. Next week I will install a temp sensor for the out-ingoing oil from/to the turbo.
    Ain't it fun turbo-ing?!

Turbos don't really need all that much oil pressure to function. In fact, too much can cause some issues with the bearings. I like your idea though, but wonder if there is enough thermal mass in only 2 liters of oil. It will be interesting to see your temp numbers.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

Craig,

That's just what I'm wondering about too. The temp nr's will give the final conclusion , but if it's not enough oil, a new canister is not the biggest job to replace. As for the bearing, the Gt38 uses ballbearings so they are almost"unbreakable "....I'll try to keep you posted.

Yeah, let me know. I like the idea.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Yeah, let me know. I like the idea.

I want to make a seperate oil system for the supercharger i am planning to install. Some kits (like AA's) don't have a fluid pump. Does a supercharger create pressure or vacuum in its oil system?

sorry for the late reply, another way for a oil feed and scavange pump is to use a pump of a L series nissan and make a small pulley and mounting bracket. their cheap and external adjustment for presure. since im doing a right hand drive car im going to make a pattern and cast an exhaust manifold to take a t3 style flange which allows for a pick off garrett or kkk and ihi turbos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast