PDA

View Full Version : Suspension noise...but from where?

liquidtiger720
02-27-2005, 05:31 PM
I just installed new upper/lower control arms, tie rods, center link, sway bar links, and idler arm in an attempt to defeat a clunk noise that I had. I thought it would be the thrust arms... but aparently not. I'm still getting the same clunk/scrathy noise almost every time I brake...so what else could it be?

~I also just had the transmissin rebuilt...could it be something related to that?

Thanks in Advance.

crashnburn80
02-27-2005, 05:52 PM
I had an annoying clunk noise coming from the front passenger side whenever the front end suspension compressed. I thought it was something in the linkage but it turned out it was a bad strut. When I got my new suspension in, it went away.

632 Regal
02-27-2005, 06:04 PM
loose strut collar? Bad strut? only when braking though huh?

liquidtiger720
02-27-2005, 06:39 PM
oh yea, forgot to mention that i just installed a Sachs sporting kit. So the collar nut is new, stuts are brand new etc. But the noise is still there.
Yea. its only when braking, and upon releasing of the brakes. Kind of a cluck than creaking metal to metal sound.

It could very well be the suspension settling in...but, its the exact same noise that I had before changing everything.

Paul in NZ
02-27-2005, 07:24 PM
sway bar links????

liquidtiger720
02-27-2005, 07:30 PM
nope, replaced those too. haha.

Kalevera
02-27-2005, 07:40 PM
What about the brakes themselves?

Prior to rebuilding my brake system last weekend, I had a terrible grinding noise whenever I came to a stop. Discovered that I'd lost a caliper carrier mounting bracket bolt, and the caliper was rubbing against the rotor's edge. Not cool.

These are kind of long shots, but you might check them out:
- swaybar links (also prior to my work last week, I had a clunk that "appeared" -- turned out to be a loose nut where the SBL met the Struthousing.
- bolts for the wishbone (if you lowered it to install the thrust arms).

Josh, did you get an alignment yet? When I did my suspension the first time around, I drove around with it for about a day and was SURE that I had a hanging caliper. That may have partially been the case, but for some reason, getting the alignment fixed everything.

Best, whit

Kalevera
02-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Oh, also... Make sure that the rotors were properly reinstalled.

liquidtiger720
02-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Ill check those out tommorow whit. Im going in for an alignment tommorow and at the same time Im going to ask them if they can retorque my bushings under load.
Weird thing is that the noise is exactly the same as it was before I did any work.

Does it matter that i can kind of sort of "feel" it comming from near my feet area...

Thank you for everybodies quick responses!

632 Regal
02-27-2005, 08:58 PM
you can feel it huh? check your cross brace deal that the thrust arms bolt to, might be loose where it bolts to the frame area.

Karl
02-27-2005, 09:20 PM
If the noise is in reaction to braking, check the calipers. They should move smoothly on their mount pins, the ones with allen screw heads that hold the caliper in. Also check that the anti-rattle spring on the brake pads is still in place, without the spring the brake pads can make a knocking sound as they take up the slack when you apply them.

Kalevera
02-28-2005, 12:35 AM
aka, the wishbone? :)

Yeah, sounds like a loose bolt, somewhere down there....

liquidtiger720
02-28-2005, 12:46 AM
it cant be from anything i worked on though. because this started back in december. but i will check everything you guys have listed once again. I have a feeling its the crossmember =x.

Kalevera
02-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Maybe there's a worn bushing elsewhere in the car? What about the sway bar bushings (the intermediaries between the bar itself and the mounting brackets)? I'd think that a faulty one would be highly visible...dunno, though.

If it's moving enough to make a "clunk" when you hit the brakes, you should be able to reproduce the sound by jiggling the components associated with the problem...

Best, whit

liquidtiger720
02-28-2005, 02:05 AM
hmm, actually, lol...come to think of it, its more of a creaking noise...but yea..still clunk like.
~ Ill look at the bushings too.
~ man, i love this forum!

jj7
02-28-2005, 03:20 AM
If the noise is in reaction to braking, check the calipers. They should move smoothly on their mount pins, the ones with allen screw heads that hold the caliper in. Also check that the anti-rattle spring on the brake pads is still in place, without the spring the brake pads can make a knocking sound as they take up the slack when you apply them.

I second this, if possible try to reach the pads and shake them,the rear-right pad on my car makes hell of noise till i found it by chance,managed to shake it with my fingers.(didnt fix it yet :D )

My 2 cents

jj

Paul in NZ
02-28-2005, 04:25 AM
if all that doesnt help we will get you looking at the rear.....

Mobius
02-28-2005, 04:56 AM
The noise is most likely coming from your front subframe. For whatever reason, with age it will start to make a sort of creaking/cracking/popping noise when turning the wheels.

The fix: Just put some muscle on the subframe mounting bolts (and hell, do the steering box mounting bolts, too). They won't be loose, but if you can get just a little turn on them, the noise will probably go away. Did for me, at least.

philbyil
02-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Ok....Back to basics....try the obvious....only upon braking then.....

Check your exhaust donuts and mounts!
Check your engine and tranny mounts!

liquidtiger720
03-01-2005, 10:25 PM
okay guys, I think I found the culprit.

I check everything you guys told me to check, and decided to tighten up this bolt some more (the bolt that says loosen this bolt about 1/2"). Seems to have worked. I havent heard it in two days. thank you guys for helping me out.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_145_full.jpg

Kalevera
03-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah, that's an important one. Best be sure to tighten up ALL of those in the vicinity if that one was loose.

Best, Whit