PDA

View Full Version : Fuel odor update: advice welcome

tim
02-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Well I posted a few days back about a noticeable fuel smell in the garage after the 540i was parked and the smell seemed to be coming from the right rear (a likely place.) I finally got the wife away long enough today to look around. The expansion tank fittings look okay, as does the filler neck and the drain tube. The lines to the fuel filter look okay, and the "t" fittings in and out of the fuel filters are ugly but don't appear to be leaking. ( One thing concerns me: the outboard side of the filters say "out"- which I'm not really sure about but I thought that should be "in"- This is the first time I've looked at them since I've owned the car. )

I'm going to remove the fuel pump cover and check that out but please take a look at these pix and offer and sage advice.

tim
02-27-2005, 04:56 PM
The expansion tank:

tim
02-27-2005, 04:59 PM
the expansion tank fittings

tim
02-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Fuel filter fittings

tim
02-27-2005, 05:02 PM
And the inboard side

Brett619310
02-27-2005, 05:05 PM
My parents had a fuel odor on their 525i and it was a fuel hose of some sort. I will try to get the info for you.

Well I posted a few days back about a noticeable fuel smell in the garage after the 540i was parked and the smell seemed to be coming from the right rear (a likely place.) I finally got the wife away long enough today to look around. The expansion tank fittings look okay, as does the filler neck and the drain tube. The lines to the fuel filter look okay, and the "t" fittings in and out of the fuel filters are ugly but don't appear to be leaking. ( One thing concerns me: the outboard side of the filters say "out"- which I'm not really sure about but I thought that should be "in"- This is the first time I've looked at them since I've owned the car. )

I'm going to remove the fuel pump cover and check that out but please take a look at these pix and offer and sage advice.

tim
02-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Update: fuel pump area and fittings are ship shape.

New question: lets say I just bought some fuel hose and replace the fuel filter fittings- is there any way to depressurize and otherwise stop excess fuel flow while I'm at it. Should I disconnect the hose that goes to the fuel rail, and let it drain back?

Kalevera
02-27-2005, 05:20 PM
This might seem like a dumb question, but have you tested the fuel cap? Might not be holding the seal anymore. Ohio EPA pressure tests it every year for me...whether I want them to or not :)

632 Regal
02-27-2005, 05:20 PM
put on your swimming gear and dive in, You could pinch the rubber lines with hemo's or vice grips to stop some of the flow but I dont think youll walk away clean. Looks like it is leaking a bit on the inbord side of the filters some but not that bad. You might want to inspect the entire line along the bottom, maybe it has a pinhole that only leaks when the fuel is pressurized.

Kalevera
02-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Tim, granted I've got a 535, but I changed my fuel filter and the surrounding fuel lines yesterday. Pressure wasn't a big deal, just have a drain pan ready.

632 Regal
02-27-2005, 05:39 PM
fuel cap...good idea! Also wondering if you have a leaky vacumme line to the canister.

tim
02-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Well, I replaced the hose clamps on the expansion tank, put 'er all back together and as Jeff said I'm going to wait for a nice day and dive in to replace those fuel filter fittings.

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to which way is which for the filters? The more I think about it the more I think mine are backwards ("out" facing out)

I think the gas cap is a possibility. The rubber gasket on the cap is well worn and its been a little chilly.

I did run the car for about 10 minutes when I had it up. I could not see any indications of leaking and I kinda jiggled each hose near the fitting to be sure. I did hear a hissing noise up by the expansion tank that I could not id. Isn't there some sort of carbon filter thingee? Perhaps mine is shot, because mine was like a steady, air compressor hiss. No sputtering though, like you'd have if it were actually leaking gas.

-tim

632 Regal
02-27-2005, 08:06 PM
out is towards the engine, in is towards the tank, sounds like yours are backwards.

tim
02-27-2005, 09:01 PM
mine are transverse mounted. right now "in" on the filter is facing the drivers side and "out" is facing the passenger side.

Karl
02-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Update: fuel pump area and fittings are ship shape.

New question: lets say I just bought some fuel hose and replace the fuel filter fittings- is there any way to depressurize and otherwise stop excess fuel flow while I'm at it. Should I disconnect the hose that goes to the fuel rail, and let it drain back?
Depressurize by pulling the fuse for the fuel pump and starting the engine. It will run till it uses up most gas in the line.

tim
02-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Bump for the filter direction question

Bill R.
02-28-2005, 10:48 AM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/540fuelfilter.jpg
Bump for the filter direction question

tim
02-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Ok, thx Bill. Arrow should point to the drivers side.

Replaced the fuel filters today. They were on backwards! I never checked them and the P.O. or his mechanic installed the last ones backwards. I undid the supply side first and with the gas came a whole bunch of grit and dirt into the bucket. Probably no place for that stuff to go, so it backed up in the line. Replaced with new mahle and got it going in the right direction. The gas smell was probably excess fuel pressure behind the filters.

tim

DaCan23
03-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Now I assume that large single filter is from the 89-93 line and the dual filter is for 94-95 V8s. My question is the single filter points to the passenger side and the duel filter to the drivers side. Why is that? The dual filter V8s should definitely point to the drivers side?

Thanks

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/540fuelfilter.jpg