PDA

View Full Version : Best Shocks??

TheDuke
02-26-2005, 06:48 PM
What do you guys/girls think about Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks? Are they any good for E34s? Any recommendations? Looking for a good performance for the right price.

632 Regal
02-26-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm using the Bilstein sports with Eibach springs, I like the ride.

crashnburn80
02-26-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm using the Bilstein sports with Eibach springs, I like the ride.

I got the same setup as 632 Regal, real nice. You can usually find the bilsteins sports on ebay for a good price and www.eap4parts.com has some pretty good deals as well, including Eibach springs.

Kalevera
02-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Garbage. I'd stay as far away from those things as possible. Even if your OEM Boges are dead, you will certainly be disappointed after installing a Monroe unit.

If you need to replace them and don't want to spend a lot of money, I would get OEM Boges or Bilstein Tourings. I'd also stay away from KYB...read my writeup on my recent suspension re-rebuild:

http://www.statch.com/users/wlowel/e34suspension.pdf (Acrobat PDF)
http://www.statch.com/users/wlowel/e34suspension.html (using MOZILLA)

I'm just going to say this: with these cars, it's cheaper to do it the right way the first time, even if the right way costs a lot more money. You will be disappointed in how anything less than the "right way" performs on the car.

best, whit

Dash01
02-26-2005, 11:02 PM
What do you guys/girls think about Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks? Are they any good for E34s? Any recommendations? Looking for a good performance for the right price.

I tried those on my Ford conversion van. Worked pretty good for awhile, but then began to think I shoulda gotten something better, for a few more bucks. On my 535i, I'll go with Bilsteins when the time comes.

winfred
02-26-2005, 11:43 PM
never seen Sensa-Trac's on a e32/34, they SUCK on a 240 volvo

winfred
02-26-2005, 11:51 PM
i have bilsteins on both of my bimmers and like them, i have not used the new low pressure bilstein tourings but have sold several sets and they are cheep compared to regular bilsteins, i doubt that they are bad coming from bilstein

liquidtiger720
02-27-2005, 01:03 AM
I have the same sachs sporting kit as whit. I can't tell you how it rides yet.

~Whit..I just finished the install around 5 today! Things went unbelievably fast with 2 mechanics and a noob wanna be DIY (me). we started around 10-10:30. By 11:30-12 we had the shocks on the way to the shop. Then badabing badaboom. done.

Kalevera
02-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Sweet! Can't wait to hear your impressions. Best, whit

Dash01
02-27-2005, 02:11 PM
i have bilsteins on both of my bimmers and like them, i have not used the new low pressure bilstein tourings but have sold several sets and they are cheep compared to regular bilsteins, i doubt that they are bad coming from bilstein

Winfred,

Based on your insights, how do the touring shocks compare with regular Bilsteins?

Price? Performance? Where to buy?

Kalevera
02-27-2005, 03:23 PM
There's an ebay seller who offers the tourings for around $250 IIRC. Guy also sells Sports for $350 or something in that area. Caveat is that he usually has the 22mm size, not the 19mm...So if you have an older E34, have to get them elsewhere.

BMA has all of these products. Front sports are around $120, rears are around $90. Don't know about the touring prices from BMA.

Best, whit

TheDuke
02-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Personally I've seen sensatracks performing on a 95 ford probe and 02 mercury I think it was grand marcus but not sure.Anyways I was impressed with the probe setup quality of the ride. But as it goes for a bigger car it wasen't so great, so I gueyss I'll stick with OEM.
A lot of info, just what I expected from you guys thanks

winfred
02-27-2005, 07:23 PM
i've not installed or driven on them yet but they are $30-50 cheeper each insert my cost depending on which unit, i think www.bavauto.com and www.bmpd.com sell them

Winfred,

Based on your insights, how do the touring shocks compare with regular Bilsteins?

Price? Performance? Where to buy?

Mobius
02-28-2005, 05:17 AM
A friend of mine has them on his '97 Mustang. I'm only 23, and after riding in that car I feel like I need to visit a chiropractor.

Keep in mind I'm a guy whose E34 is lowered with Koni shocks set to full firm.

BMA used to sell the OE Boge shocks for something like $60ea for the front. Call them up and see what they'll offer you.

Jose
02-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Buy Sensa's and you'll be sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......................!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Buy Billstein and you'll be happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.......................!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Johntee540
02-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Bilstein Sports and H&R Springs Rock! Add some Racing Dynamics Sway Bars and Strut brace and all of a sudden you got something there! - JT

granit_silber
02-28-2005, 02:22 PM

Bilstein Tourings are Bilstein's answer to Boge Turbo Gas.

So if you want the same performance as the OE and want to pay more, than the Tourings are for you.

If you want improved ride and life-span go with the Bilstein HD's or Sport's.

The sport's are firmer, the HD's are a little more plush (my HD's are coming soon).

-ashley

Kalevera
03-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Actually, I think the BTG is much more of a "sport" tuned strut versus the bilstein touring.