PDA

View Full Version : What's most common cause of rear end sag?

rnrn
02-26-2005, 04:45 AM
Every time I park I notice that my rear end is a bit lower than the front, especially when I see other e34s around in Chicago. Curious as to what may cause it and if a Sachs kit would alleviate some or most of this. I am not buying it solely for that reason but at 98K its due for some upgrades.

shogun
02-26-2005, 05:16 AM
Do you have LAD system at the rear?

pundit
02-26-2005, 06:38 AM
Every time I park I notice that my rear end is a bit lower than the front...
Hmmm... Maybe change your diet & try either Yoga or Pilates. If that doesn't work have all your friends recommend you for an "Extreme Makeover"... though I've heard liposuction bruising is a bitch!

Good Luck and in the meantime try to avoid looking over you shoulders into the mirror! :D

Dave M
02-26-2005, 10:46 AM
An ‘all-round’ tired suspension on my 525 caused the rear sagging you refer to. I believe the front springs force the tired struts upward. Tired rear springs exacerbate the problem by further allowing rear end sag and the geriatric condition. Eibachs and new Boges all around alleviated the problem. The rear end now sits slightly higher than it did before the 'lowering' and the car now handles much better and appears more balanced than before.

My 2 cents,

Dave M

632 Regal
02-26-2005, 10:48 AM
the rears normally sit higher in the wheelwell than the front, look at a few E34s before you jump to conclusions as I did after I first got mine.

Paul in NZ
02-26-2005, 04:31 PM
re wot jeff said,the rear seems to sit lower but actually sits higher than the front
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/feft%20side.jpg

Mobius
02-26-2005, 04:44 PM
re wot jeff said,the rear seems to sit lower but actually sits higher than the front
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/feft%20side.jpgAs on most cars, the rear fender lip is lower than the front. It's not because it rides lower in the rear, it's simply a styling thing.

DueyT
02-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Every time I park I notice that my rear end is a bit lower than the front, especially when I see other e34s around in Chicago. Curious as to what may cause it and if a Sachs kit would alleviate some or most of this. I am not buying it solely for that reason but at 98K its due for some upgrades.
Rnrn, is your 540i an auto...if so, yes...you probably have sag-itis. Check out Bruno's site for "suspension upgrade (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/suspensions.htm)" ideas.

IMHO, nothing worse for an E34 that huge, gaping spaces above both wheels!:D

Cheers,
Duey

Black 535i
02-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Just kidding.

Mewsy
02-27-2005, 08:20 AM
my wife reckons age + having children doesn't help...........

Hmmm... Maybe change your diet & try either Yoga or Pilates. If that doesn't work have all your friends recommend you for an "Extreme Makeover"... though I've heard liposuction bruising is a bitch!

Good Luck and in the meantime try to avoid looking over you shoulders into the mirror! :D

rnrn
02-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I know its not my eyes playing tricks on me with the fender gap differences. It just needs new shocks and springs. There is no rake from back to front as you would see on a late 90s 7 series. The e34s never had that much but its just as if I had two 100 lb sand bags in the boot.

Thanks for the input and I'll try and stay away from BK and the Golden Arches and do some leg lifts.

Brandon J
02-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Ross,

Having 17in wheels doesn't help either. Look into M-tech springs and some new shocks.

rnrn
02-28-2005, 01:25 AM
Ross,

Having 17in wheels doesn't help either. Look into M-tech springs and some new shocks.

Brandon,

I've got the 15" snows on and its still noticeable. I plainly need to swap out the suspension for the Sachs kit. And we still need to do dinner with the ladies. Let me know what's good for you these next couple a weeks...

R

Dan in NZ
03-01-2005, 08:29 PM
My shocks are a bit worn and the rear end actually sags to one side slightly... Check out my userpic to see the squat under hard acceleration.

632 Regal
03-01-2005, 08:44 PM
I think you have other problems besides too much "junk in the trunk"

Just kidding...lol

My shocks are a bit worn and the rear end actually sags to one side slightly... Check out my userpic to see the squat under hard acceleration.

Hypr5
03-01-2005, 10:49 PM
A full tank of gas makes mine sag!