PDA

View Full Version : Jumpstarting somebody's car with your bmw?

liquidtiger720
02-26-2005, 03:47 AM
Well, today I had to jumpstart somebodies car for them. It didnt occur until after if it would be bad for the electronics or what not. So what do the guru's have to say about it?

shogun
02-26-2005, 04:15 AM
No problem at all.
Just follow the instructions in the owners manual to the point.
I have jump startet some cars already and one time in 11 years my car was jump started by the road service guy. Battery was empty, my mistake, kept the key in ignition, blower fan on, radio on .....
http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/pg68.jpg

Javier
02-26-2005, 07:03 AM
bad idea to have the alternator working wile cranking an engine.

Do not let them suck all the power of your battery. If the car does not start in a couple attempts, there are other issues that will not be solved with a jumpstart. Solve them before trying a couple more times.

Javier

liquidtiger720
02-26-2005, 10:09 AM
bad idea to have the alternator working wile cranking an engine.

Javier
huh? Am I mis-reading this?
I went:
connect cables
start my car
start his
disconnect cables

Anyways. thanks for clearing the jump start thing. I should probly keep some jumper cables...I dont know why, but I always have a lot of people asking for a jump start.

Javier
02-26-2005, 01:36 PM

Garlic Breath
02-26-2005, 01:49 PM

Good point about the diodes.

Paul in NZ
02-26-2005, 04:25 PM
oops.I have been jumpstarted twice whn my battery was going flat and i have jumpstarted people at work,i ussually dont have the engine running but once my battery didnt seem to have enough juice,running the engine made no difference,i guess i was lucky

Javier
02-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I set the jumper wires, ask the other car guy not to attempt to start until I said so, start my car, rev up a little, and keep it a couple minutes. Stop the engine, unhook the cables, and ask the other car guy to give it a try. If not successful, then I hook the jumper cables again and keeping my engine off, ask him to try again.

Some times, if the problem is not severe, his battery gets enough charge to start the car after I run a little charge to it.

My wife has already burned two Delco alternators (Not in the BMW) helping others. Now she knows, no matter who asks for it, she will not start the engine.

Javier