PDA

View Full Version : E34 '95 negative battery terminal

spaceboyo
02-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Can anyone point out to me where the negative battery terminal is on a 1995 BMW 525td.

Cheers
Steve

Javier
02-25-2005, 07:38 AM
the positive battery terminal.

Just kidding. Guess you are looking for something similar to the + post in the engine compartment for those cars with battery under the rear seat. As far as I know, you will not find a - post, just grab some shinny metal part of the engine. The car is full of ground (-) connections from different devices to the body, and the negative battery terminal also grounds to the body. Guess the diesel engine shouldn't be different, as starter will also get ground from engine body.

Javier

Jon K
02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
the positive battery terminal.

Just kidding. Guess you are looking for something similar to the + post in the engine compartment for those cars with battery under the rear seat. As far as I know, you will not find a - post, just grab some shinny metal part of the engine. The car is full of ground (-) connections from different devices to the body, and the negative battery terminal also grounds to the body. Guess the diesel engine shouldn't be different, as starter will also get ground from engine body.

Javier

Use a strut bolt for ground

Qsilver7
02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
If so...like others have stated...use a strut bolt or something under the hood that's unpainted and attached/grounded to the body.

Here's a pic of an e32 which happens to have a hex bolt on the driver's side left strut tower specifically for NEG ground...but somehow this is missing on the e34...so try one of the strut bolts. :)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_206_full.jpg

spaceboyo
02-26-2005, 05:33 AM
I actually want to detach the negative for electric maintenance. So knowing what to use as a ground is no help really!

Javier
02-26-2005, 07:07 AM
battery and remove the negative connection (Brown big wire).

Javier

liquidtiger720
02-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Im not sure if this will apply to your car...but read the beginning of this write up. It explains how to disconnect the negative without removing the rear seats.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_18a.htm