PDA

View Full Version : GQ in its new stable!

philbyil
02-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Well folks...The GQ is now in sunny (and salt free!) Texas!
Drove her down over the holiday weekend and here's a quickTrip report!

We were loaded up with spares and some house and garage stuff in the trunk with me driving, SWMBO riding shotgun and 3 full 6CD cartridges, water and beef jerky on board!

Left Chicago at 3.10PM and hit the damn rush hour...took almost 1 -1/2 hours to get past I355 (about 35miles) but once in the clear, I kept pace with the traffic and tried to keep it around 80 where I could and we ended up at a Hampton Inn in Lebanon MO at around 9.15 with a total of 458 miles under our belt. Valentine One's rule my friends..... :D :D

Next day, up and out of the hotel at 6.30am, some rain but not too bad. The rain stopped and we stopped and so we stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Joplin, MO for breakfast, fed-up, gassed-up and then.....balls out to Texas!

I drove the 885 miles from Lebanon to Kerrville with 2 gas/pressure relief :D stops and arrived at 6.20PM. The weather through Texas from Dallas down to Kerrville was terrible, a mixture of torrential rain, mist and low visibilities but the GQ stuck to the road like crap to a blanket and the Yoko AVS db2's were fantastic in the lousy conditions.

Trip computer showed my average speed door to door was 76.7mph with the gas mileage at 23.6.

I tell you, there is no better long distance driver than the E34...there were times when I hit 110 but I tried to keep it cruising around 85. It ran flawlessly and used zero oil during the trip.

Gave her a bath when we arrived and then drove around the Hill Country twisties for a couple of days. Man, that car is MADE for Texas :D !
Yesterday, rewashed her, put Stabil in the tank, pumped up the tires to 40psi all around, plugged in the Battery Tender and, before leaving, patted her on the trunk and put her new nightgown on (a nice soft blue car cover!).

Will see her again in a month when we take the Van O' Love down there, pulling a motorcycle trailer containing Darth and the rest of my tools, lawnmower, ramps and miscellaneous garage stuff!

Well, the garage up here does look bare without her but I know she is in a better place and waiting for me......

All the best

Kalevera
02-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Valentine One's ROCK! It's really hard to just set the cruise and drive along...too easy to speed with these cars.

Now you've got to get a Lidatek unit and you'll be bulletproof :)

I get to take a 500 mile trip on Saturday. Wheeee...

best, whit

Jr ///M5
02-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Dang, I just looked on the map and didn't realize how far south in Texas you were! You're all the way down by San Antonio!!! For some reason I thought you were going to be north of Dallas???

I'm glad you and Deb made a safe uneventful trip. I agree, the E34 5er's are one of the best long distant road cars ever made. You take such good care of the GQ, even a soft blue blanket!!! =)

Ok, since Deb isn't going to be driving the F-250 DIESEL stroker, there's no sense in buying a cowboy hat for her.....what I've decided she needs for her new ride is.....a Pancho!!! Yeah, that's it, kind of like Anne Caulder....=) (the good, the bad and the ugly music plays in the background)

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us back here in the freezin' frekin' cold...and don't be rubbin' it in when it's 75 degrees down there and Scott H. and the rest of us are shoveling mountains of the white crap...imagine....no salt...(looks wistfully)

Take care of each other, be safe, and keep us in mind.

Jr

K_Po_Uno
02-24-2005, 06:41 PM
I was just down in Kerrville with Bonnibimmer. I took her down to visit a girlfriend down there, and some family from coldass Nashville. 15hours was painless in bonnibimmer, but I didn't get up to 110. I peaked out at around 90, but bonni has a few extra miles on her.

Scott H
02-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Did we lose one of the good guys????? :(

philbyil
02-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi Jr!

Yup pardner! We are located down near SA but, unfortunately, we are stuck back up in the Northlands until the end of May :(

It was actually cheaper to drive down and fly back than to ship the car down. Plus I knew she was being taken care of correctly :)

Next trip down is over Easter Week with the RV....taking Darth and assorted garage "stuff" down in a friends motorcycle trailer!

We are moving bits and pieces down using the the RV and trailer but the big move will be at the end of May and we will be left with Deb's Subie to drive down there with....We leave the RV down there at the beginning of May when we take Deb's bike and the last of the "precious and breakable" things down there.

Hey...y'all don't be strangers when we are down there....you can always PM me and let me know if you will be in the area!

I bought myself a white Stetson work hat and Deb has Red cowboy boots!

hehehe

Stay well and safe everyone...

Dang, I just looked on the map and didn't realize how far south in Texas you were! You're all the way down by San Antonio!!! For some reason I thought you were going to be north of Dallas???

I'm glad you and Deb made a safe uneventful trip. I agree, the E34 5er's are one of the best long distant road cars ever made. You take such good care of the GQ, even a soft blue blanket!!! =)

Ok, since Deb isn't going to be driving the F-250 DIESEL stroker, there's no sense in buying a cowboy hat for her.....what I've decided she needs for her new ride is.....a Pancho!!! Yeah, that's it, kind of like Anne Caulder....=) (the good, the bad and the ugly music plays in the background)

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us back here in the freezin' frekin' cold...and don't be rubbin' it in when it's 75 degrees down there and Scott H. and the rest of us are shoveling mountains of the white crap...imagine....no salt...(looks wistfully)

Take care of each other, be safe, and keep us in mind.

Jr

philbyil
02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Not yet young Scott...but not too long!
We are moving to TX at the end of May.....!!!

MantecaBMW
02-25-2005, 04:51 PM
What are Valentine One's?

philbyil
02-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Bar none..... :)