PDA

View Full Version : Gassy smell from 540's rear end

tim
02-24-2005, 10:49 AM
No really ;)

I've noticed recently, that after I drive the car a bit, and park it in the garage, I'll come back later and smell fumes. I assume the vapor pressure in the fuel line is bleeding off somewhere, because I don't have a puddle or anything. Front looks tight at the usual suspect fittings where the pipe joins the tube on the inlet side, and coming off the fuel rail and back into the tube. The smell is stronger toward the rear. Any ideas on where to start looking? I'm hoping its not the tank.

tia,

tim

callen
02-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Tim:

I have a 94 530i and it's got two fuel filters with various small hoses and lots of hose clamps that are prone to leaking.....your 5 may or may not have two but would guess that's the cause of the smell. Simply raise pass rear and look directly behind tire and you'll see the fuel filter (s). I purchased new hoses from BMW along with clams and have solved the problem. My 530 also had a problem of loosing pressure so engine would crank a while before starting so added one way valve that solved the problem...purchased a BMW for a couple dollars.
Callen

540i
02-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi Tim
You could try looking at the metal pipe work that runs around the fuel tank from the expansion tank for corrosion as it could be leaking enough to give you the smell but no evidence on the floor, I had the same on mine....

K_Po_Uno
02-24-2005, 03:27 PM
probably the beans....

You teed it up, i had to swing at it....

Hallmark
02-25-2005, 11:46 AM
I noticed on mine that I could park it in the garage shortly after filling up and when I come back in there is a strong smell of gas. It turns out the gasket around the fuel tank access was starting to weep. Since the access is in the top of the tank the smell is worse when the tank is more full.