PDA

View Full Version : New suspension/tires/brakes

crashnburn80
02-23-2005, 11:25 PM
I finally got my Bilstein sports with Eibach springs on yesterday after they have been sitting in my room for the last 4 months. To fix an uneven wear problem caused by poor alignment I picked up some new Kumho Supra 712 tires as well and if that wasn't enough, put on my Pagid blue compound race pads. Big difference for a car in 1 day.

The car feels scarily balanced, doesn't seem like it will understeer or oversteer but completely neutral. Haven't got to take it on any good twisties yet though. ;) bmwe34.net said this combo would be very stiff ride, I also had it recomended to me at the track but I don't think its noticably stiff driving around town. The suspension actually raised my car from the crap that was on there before, but I was alittle disappointed with the height of the front, I was hoping it would sit alittle lower.

The pads are stelthy quite compared to the last set which were some semi-metalic sport pad. Haven't got to much of a chance to test them out yet, supposed to be pretty dusty though.

Ted K
02-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Did you use a lowering spring or a stock replacement spring?

crashnburn80
02-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Did you use a lowering spring or a stock replacement spring?

I used Eibach performance lowering springs, according to Bavarian Autosport they lower 1.3" in the front and 1.0" in the rear. I'm hoping the front settles a bit, it doesn't look like it sits lower than the rear.

granit_silber
02-24-2005, 11:20 AM
I used Eibach performance lowering springs, according to Bavarian Autosport they lower 1.3" in the front and 1.0" in the rear. I'm hoping the front settles a bit, it doesn't look like it sits lower than the rear.

My bet is that your rear springs were shot (like mine).

I was reading a suspension post yesterday (maybe Lowell's write-up) and the writer mentioned havign 1 finger width in between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender after installation (rear). I went out to my 5 and I have no finger width between the two. :D

I figure once I put a SACHS kit or the Bilstein/Eibach set on my rear will come up a bit, but I think that e34's always squat a bit.

Glad to hear about the ride quality of the Bilstein sports! Mine is a daily driver/church bus and I really didn't want a super firm ride.
-ashley

Robin-535im
02-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Bilsteins are charged and will raise the front end a bit when new, but they settle after a while. I had the same thing happen - I put on new bilsteins with RD springs and it looked like a lowrider b/c the front was so high! Drive it nice and hard for a few weeks, it'll settle.