PDA

View Full Version : Wiper question - Left and right look alike?

NielsGalan
02-23-2005, 07:25 AM
My two wipers aren't the same. On the drivers side the blade itself is a fancier contraption with a wind deflector looking thing (and a BMW logo on it), while the other just is a plain looking wiper blade.

Should they be the same, or is this normal?

Thanks for any input.

e34it
02-23-2005, 11:08 AM
its normal mine is like that too, supposedly they are a special order from the dealer, for some ridiculous price, like 55 euro here for me. Driver side has a spoiler on it passenger side is normal, i say just use refills for it

GaryE
02-23-2005, 01:12 PM
I think its meant to be an aero dynamic 'wing' for the wiper blade.
They are 24" blades I think - My local auto-store wanted £60/$120 for a pair of these wiper blades! Well not worth that sort of money... I found some for a third of that price on good old ebay!

But if you like the nice BMW logo on them, then just use refills as suggested.

Gary

garretb
02-23-2005, 06:21 PM
If you buy an entire replacement blade, the driver's side is 22" while the passenger side is 24". However, the passenger wiper blade will most likely not fit flush with the windshield (at least that's the problem that I had) because the wiper arm is not curved enough. Using the 24" replacement caused the wiper to hit the edge of my hood and chipped a little bit of the paint off. So I just switched to using a 22" wiper on the passenger side as well. It still doesn't sit flush on the windshield, but it shouldn't hit my hood, either. If you can find a 24" wiper that's as curved as the OEM ones, then that would be the way to go I would think.

ve39
02-23-2005, 06:43 PM
i once wanted to buy a new Wipers but the drivers side one like you say is kind of made funny so i still can find them any where

shogun
02-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Ve39:
just buy the longest refills you can get, such as 24", and then insert them and cut off the rest. Make sure that you do not cut off the refill on the wrong side, otherwise it will slip. There are groves on one side which hold it in place. Anyway, it is written usually on the installation instructions coming along with the refills.

NielsGalan
02-24-2005, 04:27 AM
I bought the refills yesterday, removed the wiper arms and all and spray painted them black again. Huge difference.

Still the only problem now is the F*****ING pass. side arm rubbing the hood. I understand, that this is a common problem but it is F*****ING annoying on an otherwise beautifully designed car. Sorry - had to get it out of my system.