PDA

View Full Version : Insidious oil leak; I am frustrated!!

Al Gray
02-22-2005, 11:37 PM
I just replaced the oil cannister gasket on my 1992 BMW 525i hoping that it would eliminate the oil drips. After starting the car to see if the oil drip had stopped, I noticed that it was still leaking in the same place. The oil leak seems to be emanating above and along the lines where the oil pick-up tube is located. Does anyone have an idea of what else I could do to stop this leak?

Al Gray

MicahO
02-23-2005, 09:08 AM
I just replaced the oil cannister gasket on my 1992 BMW 525i hoping that it would eliminate the oil drips. After starting the car to see if the oil drip had stopped, I noticed that it was still leaking in the same place. The oil leak seems to be emanating above and along the lines where the oil pick-up tube is located. Does anyone have an idea of what else I could do to stop this leak?

Al Gray

There are a couple of O-rings located just above the oil canister housing that were a bit weepy on my car. Replacing them reduced the wetness, though I still thought I had a leak at the oil canister.

I never did dig deep enough to replace the canister housing gasket - di you have to remove the PS pump for that job? Looked pretty tight in there.....

Al Gray
02-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Micah,

It was a major job (for me anyway) to replace the oil cannister gasket. I had to remove the air box, the coiling fan and shroud, the alternator, and the power steering pump to get at the six 13 mm bolts that hold the oil cannister cover to the block. I also had to disconnect the fan belt to access one of the bolts that goes through a pulley. That bolt is the top bolt that holds the alternator on. Do the O-rings sit between the oil cannister itself and the housing? If so, I have not replaced those. Hopefully they are easier to access than the oil cannister gasket. Let me know.

There are a couple of O-rings located just above the oil canister housing that were a bit weepy on my car. Replacing them reduced the wetness, though I still thought I had a leak at the oil canister.

I never did dig deep enough to replace the canister housing gasket - di you have to remove the PS pump for that job? Looked pretty tight in there.....

MicahO
02-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Micah,

It was a major job (for me anyway) to replace the oil cannister gasket. I had to remove the air box, the coiling fan and shroud, the alternator, and the power steering pump to get at the six 13 mm bolts that hold the oil cannister cover to the block. I also had to disconnect the fan belt to access one of the bolts that goes through a pulley. That bolt is the top bolt that holds the alternator on. Do the O-rings sit between the oil cannister itself and the housing? If so, I have not replaced those. Hopefully they are easier to access than the oil cannister gasket. Let me know.

I had actually brought the canister gasket to my mechanic to have him replace it. When he started poking around, prior to taking things apart, he decided that the seepage was coming from the connections to the head up above - not on the canister itself, but on the block or the head (I don't remember which) just above and behind the canister. Replacing them did improve the situation, though there were (and are) stil other leaks. My nephew has the car now - I'll have to take a look this weekend.....