PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Door actuator cable replacement

NikonJeff
02-22-2005, 06:20 PM
has anyone replaced the drivers door release cable? Mine broke - I ordered the part locally, removed the door panel, but can't seem to get the cable off the actuator end of the business...

There are (3) bolts holding the meachanism to the door, but removing them still will not give me the ability to remove the assembly to replace the cable.

Any ideas??? I can't find my Bentley manual either :-(

Jeff Guntert
Schenectady, NY
95 540i 6spd
97 K1100LT

Javier
02-22-2005, 08:15 PM
from interior handle to lock, I´m sure somebody had the same issue a couple weeks ago. Just check the archives.

Javier

lesage
02-23-2005, 05:52 AM
Yes. I had exactly that problem. I did a write up on it so if you search around it should be there (possibly on Roadfly e34 board, I dunno.
Basically, getting the old cable off/new cable on the doorlock end was just too difficult. So I left the old cable on, cut it at a suitable accessible point and joined the new cable to it (cutting off the hook) using ordinary everyday electric flex connectors (the type with 2 small screws which clamp on the cable running inside the little channel).
I used 3 of these in line to be extra safe. You have to line up the cable so that the combined length of new plus old is exactly right. Not difficult. Its worked fine so far and saves a huge ballache

Javier
02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9383&highlight=Cable

Javier

gma
02-23-2005, 11:35 PM
It's not easy, but it can be done - it just takes patience, a lot of light and a lot of dexterity. Small hands and / or a hemostat helps as well, but you don't have to disassemble anything. Just be patient.

lesage
02-24-2005, 03:01 AM
Well, as far as I could see, you needed to have the services of a 12 fingered dwarf to get the old one off :-)

lesage
02-24-2005, 11:36 AM
NikonJeff: here is my full story
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/5933248-1.html