PDA

View Full Version : Spring to hold bonnet (hood) open

Paul_540i
02-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi guys

The spring at the front of my bonnet (inside the hinge mechanism) doesn't seem to be providing enough tension, meaning that the slightest wind can cause the bonnet to fall down! I know it's not the struts, as the front of the bonnet doesn't pop up either when you release it, it has to be lifted by hand.

The spring itself seems to be fine, if I try twisting it with a screwdriver there is plenty of tension. So it seems it needs to be rotated one turn before being pushed back into the hole, to give it the required tension. As you can imagine this is near impossible without removing the bonnet, is removal the correct procedure for installing this spring?

Cheers
Paul.

632 Regal
02-22-2005, 01:36 PM
paul, pick up a new set of them, not expensive at all. i dont think you can adjust them by twisting them, your just creating some tension in there and i think it will release on you again.

Robin-535im
02-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi guys

The spring at the front of my bonnet (inside the hinge mechanism) doesn't seem to be providing enough tension, meaning that the slightest wind can cause the bonnet to fall down! I know it's not the struts, as the front of the bonnet doesn't pop up either when you release it, it has to be lifted by hand.

Hi Paul, The struts are charged and provide the force to pop the hood up upon release and keep it up at full open. They are probably kaput if original, but cheap and easy to replace. I've done this on both my E34's - it really stinks when the bonnet busts you one when you're not expecting it!

- Robin

garretb
02-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Is it any kind of problem keeping the hood aligned when replacing the struts? I know that mine are wearing out, but that's the biggest worry that's keeping me from taking that on right now.

Phil Sanderson
02-22-2005, 03:04 PM
regards
Phil

Robin-535im
02-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Is it any kind of problem keeping the hood aligned when replacing the struts? I know that mine are wearing out, but that's the biggest worry that's keeping me from taking that on right now.

All you need is a little screwdriver to pop the metal clip out of it's groove and the old one slides right off. New one clicks on and you're done with that side. You can probably even do it without setting down your beer. :)

digitaldragon03
02-22-2005, 06:29 PM
I just replaced mine. My hood was really loose too (friend messed up his finger when it fell on him, lol) and replacing the struts is really easy. The old ones should pop right off, use a screw driver to loosen them up if you need to. They range anywhere from 10 bucks each on ebay, to 20 a piece from bavauto.

shogun
02-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Seen on a BMW Japan Club Meeting, just use your golf club in style :D
http://www.7er.com/mein7er/treffen/japan-021124/DSC00056-d.jpg

garretb
02-23-2005, 06:06 PM
That's good to know. Sounds like I have something to add to the list of the minor fixes I need to tackle. I'll have to see what the local dealer charges with BMWCCA discount and compare it to BMA or some other online store.

liquidtiger720
02-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I use a wooden stick from a broom. My lil struts are new and the hoood still falls sometimes.