PDA

View Full Version : M50 engine Questions - Winfred/Bill?

western99
02-22-2005, 11:30 AM
I have a 95 525ia with 208k kms on it, and I noticed that it has started to burn a little bit of oil. Not much. Is it common for this engine to burn some oil with this kind of mileage. I run 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic in my car. I change the oil on my car every 5k kms.

As well, I have been losing some coolant as well. Not sure where it is going since I have no leaks and it does not seem to be in the oil. When I drain my oil, it is still relatively clean at every 5k kms intervals. As well, my exhaust seems to be running clean.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Brian

bimmerd00d
02-22-2005, 12:01 PM
I was using 15w50, and it wasn't. Switched to 5w30 for the winter (i never do this) and i had to add a little the other day.

Russell
02-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Mobil 1 0w40, no oil use, 106,000

Dave M
02-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't mean to alarm you, but, If your head gasket hasn't failed, you may want to do a compression test/leakdown. Its nice to guage engine condition anyhow.

My M50 has @300K on it and has been using more and more oil since @ 250K. It burns it visibly under vacuum (coasting down hill in gear, high rpm). I did a compression test and found that cylinder 5 fails the 'wet test'. With that mileage I assume it best to replace the short block and get another 1/2 million kms.

Monitor your coolant and oil like a hawk to determine where its going. Look for the tell tale signs of headgasket failure and let the fun begin.

Hopfully its just a leaky boat.

Best of luck