PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

ve39
02-22-2005, 04:14 AM
Hey guy have two questrions to ask:
1. my stearing wheel acts funny when i got straght the car can go right or left a little so i have to work harder for the car to go profectly straght
2. i hear a whistel from the engine when i open a hood it's not very loud and it's coming from this top big metal thing located above the engine
thank you for all your guys help

shogun
02-22-2005, 04:31 AM
What happens when the car is not moving and you turn the steering wheel? How many centimeter can you move the steering wheel till someone else can see that the front wheels are moving?
Do you have standard wheels and tires or wide wheel/tire combination?
Is the car lowered? Springs?

Big metal thing on top of the engine?
Maybe you use the online spare parts catalog to identify the part. That would be the easiest.

ve39
02-22-2005, 04:51 AM
i can move may be little less the 1 hours of a wheel till front wheels start moving the car is not lowered i do have fat tires on it the rims are normal

the big metal thing i mean like when you on the hood it's the main thing you see in the middle right under is the engine it got BMW emblemao on it

Kalevera
02-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Well, the intake makes a characteristic "wooshing" sound which is simply the air getting moved around.

Your valve cover should have "BMW" on it. Since you have an M20, the valves should be adjusted. Mine click though - they don't whine. If something's whining and it's coming from the valves, best check it out as soon as possible!

best, whit

632 Regal
02-22-2005, 11:27 AM
you probably have loose parts in the steering, the whistle or whining could be a vacume leak.

JonE
02-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Try tightening up that steering column collar nut under the black panel just above your knees, try this from Bruno's site, http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/steeringplay.htm

ve39
02-22-2005, 03:43 PM
thx alot for all your guys help

ve39
02-22-2005, 04:52 PM
well i tryed to tightening up that steering column collar nut and i had no luck with it i couldn't even move it, tryed to tighten it up as hard as i could well i see the problem with the stearing wheel I can move it a little with out my front wheels even moving