PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid, well-discussed question: Pre-Universal wiring harnesses?!

Kalevera
02-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi guys.

I bought a Clarion DXZ815mp a few weeks ago on eBay. Lacking other options, I went to the local AssclownZone to find out if they could sell me the Metra wiring harness that I think I need to connect this unit to my car. They ordered it, made me pay for it, and it's supposed to show up on the 24th...great.

This weekend, I pulled the old/stock radio to find that it has the pre-universal wiring harness connectors as shown on the bottom of Bruno's site -- the so-called "Older Wiring": http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Upgrade/Stereo_radio.htm

If I am to believe what's written there, I can't buy a harness to save me from having to splice the BMW wires. So, is Autozone's computer once again providing faulty fitment information? If so, I wonder what it is that they think they're selling me?

What do I do? The last time I spliced wires during a stereo install, I did $250+ in electrical damage to my Toyota...needless to say, playing with the electrics scares the **** out of me.

I have searched the archives and found little that makes much sense to me, so please -- can someone elucidate this for me?

Best, Whit

632 Regal
02-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Whit....use the stock head unit and power amp a few thousand watts from the stock amp in the trunk. I have read soooo much on people that have done wonderful things with a total redo that has taken weeks and resulted in astounding sound systems. From all I absorbed I would not want to axe my stock system but add to its fury with an amp and maybe some replacement speakers. Once into "the goods" your at your own mercey.

Kalevera
02-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Lol...good BS point, Jeff :)

Naw, I bought this headunit because I only do MP3's and CD's. I'm not interested in having a booming sound system, but I do want universal portability.

For the past few years, I've used a Slim X IMP-350, carrying around burned CDs. I still like it better than, say, an iPod (call me a luddite!)....so I've got a lot of CDs full of mp3's and it makes sense to just transfer them to the car. As well, a computer powers my house's sound system.

I like the stock head unit for listening to the radio, but I find that it's not great in terms of audio quality. There's a very real "dead" space in the sound stage directly behind the front seats. The sound seems to come ALL from the front, and very little comes from the rear (I checked the fader already, yes...and all speakers are working as they should...to my knowledge). This may be because I'm used to having a mid mounted in the rear door panel behind me.

It just doesn't sound right....so do I get the monkeys at best buy to install it? that would be pathetic.

best, whit

liquidtiger720
02-22-2005, 12:26 AM
I just want a cd changer =x.

Kalevera
02-22-2005, 06:13 PM
BUMP! --- Any of you stereo guys familiar with the pre-universal wiring harness cars? Do I have to cut off the BMW connectors or ?

best, whit

doogie
02-23-2005, 06:13 AM
When I got my car it didn't have the stock head unit in it (UK standard spec doesn't come with amps anyway), just some piece of junk. Pulled that out and found it had been hard wired so just cut all the cables, got an ISO connector with bare ends and wired that up then plugged it in. Almost all the colours that were there matched up with the exception of the speakers which took me 5 mins to work out.