PDA

View Full Version : My very first real problem !

zygoteer
02-21-2005, 04:26 PM
... the first of many I guess, but I am still a 'new' 535 owner ! ... so learning etc. and need a little help.

My problem is the alpha display in the dash shows "WASHER FLUID LOW" ... but filling all three washer containers with appropriate fluids (as per handbook) doesn't now make the message go away (it did the first couple of times it happened).

I assume a connector/float/level switch is the real problem, but can anyone advise where I physically start looking for this ?
... you will know things are tightly packed in the engine bay, and I don't really want to dismantle everything in sight until I find it.
Any clue where to start looking will be greatly appreciated .. thnx !

Kalevera
02-21-2005, 05:17 PM
I pulled mine out last month due to the same fault.

The repair is quite easy (although it may be different because your Euro car has 3 tanks in one, from what I understand)

EDIT: forgot this step -- - locate and remove the plastic standard "screw" that holds the top of the tank to the fender firewall - a wiring harness runs by it, can't do the job without removing it as it holds the tank in place.

- Remove the airbox (can be done without doing this, but not having to work around the airbox will make your life easier).

- It'd be wise to pump out the fluid in the tank(s) prior to removing it, but not necessary. I partially drained mine later in the procedure.

- Locate the plastic barrier that the airbox extension connects to, next to the radiator. Carefully remove this piece (exercise some caution - mine shattered due to being old and brittle)

- You'll be able to see the pump for the windshield washers on the front of the tank. The pump(s) should be disconnected at the wiring harness(es). If the tank still has fluid in it, *don't* pull on the pumps unless you want to dump the tank's contents into your engine compartment.

- The level sensor is on the fender side of the tank. I lifted the tank half way out of the car, partially drained it so that I could remove the sensor by the grommet (pressure holds it in there, as with the pumps) without spilling the blue stuff everywhere. I pulled the sensor to discover that the float had broken off - it was in the tank, still floating around. I replaced the sensor with a new one, put it back together, and then filled the tank to get the old float out.

After that, no more warning messages :)

best, whit

zygoteer
02-21-2005, 05:35 PM
WOW ! wasn't really expecting a quick answer tonight ! - amazing

many thanks Whit, I will try your procedure tomorrow for sure.

My car has a twin tank on the drivers side (RHD) for the windscreen/windshield & intensive clean function, plus a single tank on the other side of the engine bay which is for the headlight/foglight wash.

Interesting you say some plastics become hard/brittle as the filler caps on my washer tanks have gone like that, have then become tight so the pull tabs have broken off - must get new ones.

shogun
02-21-2005, 10:28 PM
You will experience that a lot of plastic parts get brittle/hard, especially in the engine room, and even more if you have a 5 Ltr V12 in the engine room like in my car (where it is very tight).
Some time ago I cleaned the headlights from the inside (the well known white stuff inside on the glass) and wanted to remove the plastic holder for the parking light. That part is about 10 cms long. All I had in my hand were small plastic pieces.
Same is with wire loom connectors, like in your case that one for the washer fluid.