PDA

View Full Version : multiple problems

pong
02-21-2005, 09:03 AM
1st prob... driver's side head rest doesnt move up or down...

2nd prob... the radio has "code" written in the lcd... i tried punching numbers but they dont appear on the screen...

what should i do? please help

thanks!

Qsilver7
02-21-2005, 10:22 AM
1st prob... driver's side head rest doesnt move up or down...

2nd prob... the radio has "code" written in the lcd... i tried punching numbers but they dont appear on the screen...

what should i do? please help

thanks!
The numbers do not appear in the display when entering the radio CODE. You will hear a beep if you have succesfully entered all 5 digits of the code, though.

Here's the instructions:
1. turn the radio on (radio will say CODE).
2. then enter the 5 digit code using the radio preset buttons. Radio should beep and CODE should disappear from display.

If at anytime the radio beeps while entering the 5 digits...STOP...then start over from the beginning. If you enter an incorrect number...continue entering up to 5 digits then start over. You have 3 tries to get it right...if you fail...you will need to leave the radio on for 1 hour (with the ignition in position 1 [NOT position 2])...then re-enter the code at the end of 1 hour.

If you can hear the head rest motor but the head rest fails to move up or down...go to this link for instructions on how to repair (its VERY easy). I've done this repair on my 91 735il (now sold) and my e34 525iT and the headrest still work!: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/789813-1.html

pong
02-21-2005, 12:21 PM
is it in the owner's manual? couldnt find it in there...

btw... im having problems removing the back part of the seat... is there some sort of lock or screw that i have to remove first... couldnt find one...

pong
02-21-2005, 12:23 PM
the message "code" doesnt get removed... my stereo unit is the one with a 4 digit code which shows the number when you press it... someone played with it and it got locked... now... i cant punch the numbers in there... the manual says 15 minutes... but have tried to turn it on for more than 1 hr already...

Qsilver7
02-21-2005, 01:09 PM
is it in the owner's manual? couldnt find it in there...
btw... im having problems removing the back part of the seat... is there some sort of lock or screw that i have to remove first... couldnt find one...

the seat back (on the sides)...check to see if any are there. If not, you need to place both hands (one on each side of seat back) then push upward and back towards you at the same time (to release the lower springs) then pull downward to clear hooks on the upper section of the seat. See diagrams below:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_216_full.jpg

note the clips at bottom (circled in red) and the hooks at the top (circled in red) on section #8 in the diagram below (#9 & #10 don't apply to the e34...they are for the articulating back of the 7 series comfort seat):
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_217_full.jpg

Check to see if your seatback is secured with phillip head screws which will be located behind these plastic covers which can be removed with a thin blade (see red arrow in pic below):
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/seatback1.jpg

Qsilver7
02-21-2005, 01:11 PM
the message "code" doesnt get removed... my stereo unit is the one with a 4 digit code which shows the number when you press it... someone played with it and it got locked... now... i cant punch the numbers in there... the manual says 15 minutes... but have tried to turn it on for more than 1 hr already...
Are you located outside the USA?

pong
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
yup... philippines... but mine is a US model (they say)

632 Regal
02-21-2005, 11:50 PM
dude, if you remove the rear of the seat 90% chance your gonna bust it and have to glue it together (hmm...how do I know)whats here you forgot to get? Headrest is driven by a motor/cable under the whole seat, find the right one pull the metal sheath off cut 1/4 inch off and heat the sheath and push it back on...walla headrest fixed unless you have a bad motor or power supply.

Radio code should be written somewhere on the paperwork cause everyone needs it sometime or another, If you cant locate the "5" diget number you can take or call the dealer with the "vin" number and get the code to punch in. The directions are above.

shogun
02-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Pong, what is the chassis number of the car?
If it is in the Phils, I assume it is imported used from Japan.
And Japanese radios of that year do not have a code number, just installed.
You can also see it,
FM-TV 76-90 Mhz, 1-3 Channel
AM 522-1628
If that is writen on the radio somewhere, it is a jap. version.
But just give us the chassis number (last 7 digits/letters is o.k.) and we will tell you what year. model etc.
and also when it was produced really.
I hope you will not be disappointed like Whit, who bought a "1993" 750iL wich now turned out to be actually from 1988 after he contacted me.

632 Regal
02-22-2005, 12:45 AM
I hope you will not be disappointed like Whit, who bought a "1993" 750iL wich now turned out to be actually from 1988 after he contacted me..

Qsilver7
02-22-2005, 02:59 PM
...Headrest is driven by a motor/cable under the whole seat, find the right one pull the metal sheath off cut 1/4 inch off and heat the sheath and push it back on...walla headrest fixed unless you have a bad motor or power supply...

on the right side...mounted to a little shelf. (see pic below). If he follows the instructions I posted above (see diagrams, too)...he shouldn't have any problems getting the back of the front seats off. Just take note of the two spring like clips at the bottom (that need to come out first), then pull doward to clear the hook (at the top). Cutting & shortening a section of the drive cable's sheathing can be done...but unscrewing the drive cable from the bottom of the motor...and inserting a 1/4" piece of metal into the motor (like cut from a wire coat hanger) then re-inserting the drive cable...is a very fast and easy fix for the headrests. (BTW...the wire trick does not work for the seatback twist repair or any of the drive motors underneath the seat)

I performed this fix in my 91 735iL (still working the last time a talked to the new owner)...and I also performed this trick on my 95 525iT in Aug/2004 and the headrest still works flawlessly. Oh yeah, I had no problem removing the seatback on either one. :D

Here's a pic of the headrest motor (on the right) that can verify that it is indeed behind the seat back cover and not underneath the seat::
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/headrest2.jpg

pong
02-23-2005, 12:14 PM
got the radio to work... now there is the mystery of the vanishing coolant...
nothing drips underneath but it just vanishes...

632 Regal
02-23-2005, 12:34 PM
I wonder if the bottom seat springs were broken when I tried taking mine off, didnt seem to take much to break them. Had to glue the fiber board back together which seems to have held good so far.

on the right side...mounted to a little shelf. (see pic below). If he follows the instructions I posted above (see diagrams, too)...he shouldn't have any problems getting the back of the front seats off. Just take note of the two spring like clips at the bottom (that need to come out first), then pull doward to clear the hook (at the top). Cutting & shortening a section of the drive cable's sheathing can be done...but unscrewing the drive cable from the bottom of the motor...and inserting a 1/4" piece of metal into the motor (like cut from a wire coat hanger) then re-inserting the drive cable...is a very fast and easy fix for the headrests. (BTW...the wire trick does not work for the seatback twist repair or any of the drive motors underneath the seat)

I performed this fix in my 91 735iL (still working the last time a talked to the new owner)...and I also performed this trick on my 95 525iT in Aug/2004 and the headrest still works flawlessly. Oh yeah, I had no problem removing the seatback on either one. :D

Here's a pic of the headrest motor (on the right) that can verify that it is indeed behind the seat back cover and not underneath the seat::
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/headrest2.jpg

Ali
02-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Pong, what is the chassis number of the car?
If it is in the Phils, I assume it is imported used from Japan.
And Japanese radios of that year do not have a code number, just installed.
You can also see it,
FM-TV 76-90 Mhz, 1-3 Channel
AM 522-1628
If that is writen on the radio somewhere, it is a jap. version.
But just give us the chassis number (last 7 digits/letters is o.k.) and we will tell you what year. model etc.
and also when it was produced really.
I hope you will not be disappointed like Whit, who bought a "1993" 750iL wich now turned out to be actually from 1988 after he contacted me.

Hi Shogun,

Wondering if u could give me some info on my car based on the chassis No. WBAHD51050BG50725,

Thanks,

Ali

gma
02-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Vanishing coolant?

How's the car's power?
Has the car overheated recently?
Is the exhaust steamy - even after the car warms up?
Do you smell glycol?
Does your coolant look and smell like coolant or does it look and smell like something evil and demonic?

Vanishing coolant implies a head gasket leak - which is commonly caused by warpage from overheating. A simple compression check can help you here.

You sure this car is for you?

pong
02-24-2005, 01:38 AM
yup it overheated the other day... i am wondering.. how many liters of water/coolant can it hold?

i havent used it again since then.. im planing to have it towed and checked before using it again... i think the cylinder head gasket is toast... but im making sure the cylinder head itself does not cracks... (thats why im not running it)

checked the motor oil if it has water... good thing it has none or else i would need an overhaul... tried turning it on a while ago... sounds right to me

got this 2nd hand that is why im asking all sorts of questions, the seats are already twisted when i got it... the radio is already ok... found a really small note somewhere in the paperwork